EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Question re. Ultra Frame repair.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question re. Ultra Frame repair.

I am ready to have a section welded onto my Ultra Frame. What do you recommend as a Frame tube strengthener between the 2 sections before welding.?.
ie. a Solid circular steel bar OR a tubular section to fit the inner dia. of both tubular sections.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

What year and where on the frame and how long a section? Existing HD frame material or adding new material? Do you have a MIG or TIG welder?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

when adding a section in the middle of a tube section, it is difficuilt to use a plug on both ends without leaving a generous gap at 1 or both ends. If you have the filler tube, and have already chose to use a plug then you most likely ahve provided for enough gap to engage 1 end full then slide backwards into the other end. The stiffener can be either tube or solid as long as you provide enough material to burn in, usually the same otr thicker than the material you are trying to weld. Seems to me a solid plug would be easiest as you can turn to the correct diameter for a snug fit and burn in with no concern for burning through.

Solid plug gets my vote...

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,793 Likes on 1,381 Posts

I'm a rank amateur at welding, which I readily admit. What Scrmnvtwins says makes sense to me. I'd go solid plug. It would also be much easier than finding just the right OD size tube to use inside the frame tube.

Where'd you wind up getting the frame bit?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Yep frame plug Done a couple custom frames this way and race cars. Nice and solid. Just get everything super clean inside and out. Mig or Tig doesnt really matter as long as you have good penetration.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:23 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
when adding a section in the middle of a tube section, it is difficuilt to use a plug on both ends without leaving a generous gap at 1 or both ends. If you have the filler tube, and have already chose to use a plug then you most likely ahve provided for enough gap to engage 1 end full then slide backwards into the other end. The stiffener can be either tube or solid as long as you provide enough material to burn in, usually the same otr thicker than the material you are trying to weld. Seems to me a solid plug would be easiest as you can turn to the correct diameter for a snug fit and burn in with no concern for burning through.

Solid plug gets my vote...
That is music to my ears! Straightforward no messin answer.
Thanks SvT and others who responded. Bungo

Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I'm a rank amateur at welding, which I readily admit. What Scrmnvtwins says makes sense to me. I'd go solid plug. It would also be much easier than finding just the right OD size tube to use inside the frame tube.

Hi Doc,I eventually got a frame from New Hamps.Mass. The guy obligingly cut out the section I needed and I am picking it up today after 2 weeks in transit.
I have taken a large selection to keep strength and retain geometry. As per yellow lines in pic.Bungo.

Attached Thumbnails Question re. Ultra Frame repair.-harley-frame-section.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 AM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess

Hi Doc,I eventually got a frame from New Hamps.Mass. see attached pic.
The guy obligingly cut out the section I needed and I am picking it up today after 2 weeks in transit.
I have selected a large selection to retain strength and geometry.
Any suggestions by you guys as to where to cut and join both frames would be really appreciated.
The Yellow lines are where the guy has cut it.
Ideally I will retain bottom crossmember and upper rear crossmember,the one that braces the two 45 degree frame tubes. Leaving a bit of frame tube where necessary.Bungo.

Attached Thumbnails Question re. Ultra Frame repair.-harley-frame-section.jpg  

Last edited by BungoBill; 09-12-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

I know its too late but he should have cut it at the square tube tank mount up top.Would have only been 3 cuts Just did a back half that way. On the bottom just make sure your getting all the rust out.Try too do it with the least amount of cuts tack everything,measure measure measure than skip around welding. It pulls these little frames around like a SOB.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:19 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
I know its too late but he should have cut it at the square tube tank mount up top.Would have only been 3 cuts Just did a back half that way. On the bottom just make sure your getting all the rust out.Try too do it with the least amount of cuts tack everything,measure measure measure than skip around welding. It pulls these little frames around like a SOB.
I could have got the complete frame less the headstock which had been cut off. Problem was Shipping cost. Thats why I minimised frame cuts. Bungo
ps. drove from Manhattan NY to Greenport? LI. NY in 78. Had hired a Motorhome in White Plains NY. First time I had driven a Motorhome & first time driving in the US. It wasnt an easy drive especially as I left Manhattan at peak time!
Was a pleasure to eventually reach Greenport though after the heavy duty 6 lane traffic leaving the city. .

Last edited by BungoBill; 09-12-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Question re. Ultra Frame repair.