EVO All Evo Model Discussion

89 FLST oil lines to filter - need a favor

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 06:34 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 89 FLST oil lines to filter - need a favor

So I'm going with black nylon sheathed/braded oil lines instead of the stainless braided. Have a favor to ask. Can someone take a pic of the two lines to the filter? I know one comes from the oil tank and the other to the pump on the rear of the motor. Since I have to cut these myself, I just want to know exactly where they are run along the frame, away from the exhaust, etc. Really appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmpit
So I'm going with black nylon sheathed/braded oil lines instead of the stainless braided. Have a favor to ask. Can someone take a pic of the two lines to the filter? I know one comes from the oil tank and the other to the pump on the rear of the motor. Since I have to cut these myself, I just want to know exactly where they are run along the frame, away from the exhaust, etc. Really appreciate any and all help. Thanks!
Can I just ask why nylon over stainless? I'm looking at changing my lines too is all

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ink83
Can I just ask why nylon over stainless? I'm looking at changing my lines too is all
I purchased the Drag Specialties Stainless Steel Braided kit. Wasn't thrilled with the quality at all - especially for the price. A lot of feedback I got (on here and in "real life") was I was better off going with the standard rubber tubing and clamps. Returned the lines and saw that J&P had braided nylon in black. And since my bike has a blacked out theme, I decided to go with that. The material had nothing to do with my decision. Well, except for the fact that the tubing will be easier to cut & trim. As opposed to stainless tubing if I had purchased a roll of that & clamps.

Last edited by rpmpit; 01-08-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:06 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Ok, forget the pics. How about just confirming for me that the line from the pump exits the pump, drops down and goes forward to the oil filter from below the engine??

Old 01-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Yeah, from the oil pump to the filter, from the filter to the tank.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yeah, from the oil pump to the filter, from the filter to the tank.
Thanks. But both lines run under the engine?? Not along the right side frame rail??

Old 01-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,755 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmpit
Thanks. But both lines run under the engine?? Not along the right side frame rail??
I think it depends on your bike. On my bike, the lines run along the right frame rail to the oil cooler. The filter is under the transmission. Run them however you want, as long as you secure them down so they don't move. If they move, bad things happen to oil lines.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I think it depends on your bike. On my bike, the lines run along the right frame rail to the oil cooler. The filter is under the transmission. Run them however you want, as long as you secure them down so they don't move. If they move, bad things happen to oil lines.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't have a cooler. Filter is up front. I want to run the lines in their stock location. Obviously secure them properly and keep them away from the exhaust or any moving parts.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,576 Likes on 2,896 Posts

the center of the oil filter is the exit from the filter to the return fitting of the oil tank -- the fitting off to the side ( top / bottom ) of the filter housing is the input from the exit side of the oil pump ----

the oil travels to the filter into the side fitting and exits the center back to the tank --- johnjzjz

Old 01-08-2014, 12:11 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the center of the oil filter is the exit from the filter to the return fitting of the oil tank -- the fitting off to the side ( top / bottom ) of the filter housing is the input from the exit side of the oil pump ----

the oil travels to the filter into the side fitting and exits the center back to the tank --- johnjzjz
Thanks! I'm ok with which line terminates where and their functions. Just concerned about the physical location of the actual lines in relation to the engine/frame/exhaust.

Quick Reply: 89 FLST oil lines to filter - need a favor