Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Bassani Pro-Street Turn Outs for Softtail

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:58 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bassani Pro-Street Turn Outs for Softtail

OK...I think I'm hooked on this exhaust. Unique look and exact sound I'm looking for! Did some searching but didn't find a whole lot. Are there any reports out there on build/installation quality, how well they tune, etc?? For a '15 slim.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer

...and as I search for pics of this system, it seems to be a few different fitments in how it looks. Is there like a full system and a slip on available?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 AM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pro Streets are complete systems (no junction at muffler). Each side is one piece. Baffles are included and should stay in. I have run these for 12 years on a hot 95" motor and cannot find a pipe I like better for power. They are some of the lightest and easiest to install pipes available.

Here are some downsides/considerations:

1) these pipes are LOUD. Doesn't bother me, but riding buddies complain that their eardrums tickle when I get on it.
2) heat shields are sold separately ($120) and don't fully cover the head pipes
3) the bracket that attaches the pipes to the trans housing breaks at the bend and must be welded there. Welded once, no more issues.
4) these pipes are best suited for big engines and/or hi-performance builds and are not at their best for smaller (<107ci) stock/stage 1 motors, but scream with hi-compression/big cam motors of any size.
5) if you are looking for monster low end torque, the better 2>1 designs (Fatcat, RB Racing LSR, Pro Pipe, etc) are a better choice, although the Pro Streets deliver a better overall torque curve with no dips than any other 2>2 out there and make monster peak HP numbers, better than anything else I have found (short of Burns custom pipes or similar) for motors that need 1 3/4" primaries.
6) as with any pipe, a good tune is mandatory to get the best out of the Pro Streets.

Hope this helps you make your decision.

Last edited by dynawg1; 03-16-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:11 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer

Dude...awesome reply! Thank you very much for the info. Will let it all sink in. System sounds and looks amazing.

I also ran across the Firesweep turnouts. The two sets look identical; do you know what the difference is? Is this one just s slip on? Doesn't look like it could be.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the pro-street turn outs on a softail. They sound great, look great, and tuned in well on my bike. I wouldn't buy them again however. The rear pipe has a flaw in that it is only mounted at the head and 1 point mid baffle. There is no triangulation to keep the pipe straight. As hard as I've tried to mount and remount and tighten it up, the rear pipe rolls forward until it touches the cam cover and is out of line with the front pipe. A simple brace between the front and rear pipe would solve this issue but I haven't found a good way to fab one up that would look clean. It's a serious shortfall in design by Bassani in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:51 AM
jetmech74
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dynawg1
Pro Streets are complete systems (no junction at muffler). Each side is one piece. Baffles are included and should stay in. I have run these for 12 years on a hot 95" motor and cannot find a pipe I like better for power. They are some of the lightest and easiest to install pipes available.

Here are some downsides/considerations:

1) these pipes are LOUD. Doesn't bother me, but riding buddies complain that their eardrums tickle when I get on it.
2) heat shields are sold separately ($120) and don't fully cover the head pipes
3) the bracket that attaches the pipes to the trans housing breaks at the bend and must be welded there. Welded once, no more issues.
4) these pipes are best suited for big engines and/or hi-performance builds and are not at their best for smaller (<107ci) stock/stage 1 motors, but scream with hi-compression/big cam motors of any size.
5) if you are looking for monster low end torque, the better 2>1 designs (Fatcat, RB Racing LSR, Pro Pipe, etc) are a better choice, although the Pro Streets deliver a better overall torque curve with no dips than any other 2>2 out there and make monster peak HP numbers, better than anything else I have found (short of Burns custom pipes or similar) for motors that need 1 3/4" primaries.
6) as with any pipe, a good tune is mandatory to get the best out of the Pro Streets.

True story

Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear (outside) pipe does tend to want to turn out. I have been able to overcome it by holding it straight while tightening the bolt going through the pipe tabs and the bracket first and then tightening the exhaust flange bolts for the rear pipe at the head. I also use a locking nut, lock washer, and flat washer under the bracket to hold the bolt securely. I'm sure that you have tried this and more. Sounds like the issue is worse on the softail than the Dyna or the pipes you got are a little off.

Maybe jetmech74 can help out here.

Last edited by dynawg1; 03-17-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Jakerz00
Advanced

I'm looking into this exhaust as well and I've seen pictures of it mounted on different bikes differently, as in: One bike the pipes are stacked, just like normal, but on others they are parallel or a little off parallel? Is this just a mounting issue or do they vary that much between sets?

Jake

Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 AM
jetmech74
Tourer

Originally Posted by dynawg1
Rear (outside) pipe does tend to want to turn out. I have been able to overcome it by holding it straight while tightening the bolt going through the pipe tabs and the bracket first and then tightening the exhaust flange bolts for the rear pipe at the head. I also use a locking nut, lock washer, and flat washer under the bracket to hold the bolt securely. I'm sure that you have tried this and more. Sounds like the issue is worse on the softail than the Dyna or the pipes you got are a little off.

Maybe jetmech74 can help out here.
Same process, no twist. Just take your time

Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Desertwndrr
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I've mounted and remounted several times. Bike is running a 124" so I experience a bit more vibration than a smaller motor would. I suspect that my motor certainly contributes to the issue. Regardless, if Bassani used a mount similar to V&H it would be a non-issue. It's the single pin bolt that allows the movement in the pipe.

Quick Reply: Bassani Pro-Street Turn Outs for Softtail