Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Exhaust volume by-laws

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 02:10 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Exhaust volume by-laws

Ok, just watching a few YouTube vids tonight and there was a few guys that we're complaining about police doing static noise testing of there bikes.

In some states thay had to pass a DB level of nothing over 96 at idle at a 3 foot distance , But in good old PA the noise of your exhaust has to be measured at 50 feet, but traveling at 35 mph for 1 scale and 35 + for the other.

Anyone has this done in there own neck of the woods or PA for that matter and how did that turn out for ya?.

Just wondering what is the preferred method of this monitoring static or drive by and how often it happens

Wiz out

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 09-27-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I've been riding in PA since 1969 with some very loud exhausts and was never pulled over for that. I don't know if there is a DB level test for state inspections but if there is nobody has ever done that to my bike.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 PM
OutlawKellyJames
Advanced
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm from Las Vegas. Nevada is still a little like the wild west. I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for exhaust volume. But California is just a couple of mountain passes away. I'm sure there are some places were this could be an issue.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:18 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

SW Ohio here, I've not seen a bike pulled over for loud exhaust, I have seen pick-up trucks busted for it. Any Ohioans want to chime in?

Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

From pa here. Never had a problem on the bikes, when I was a kid I had an old cb750 with drag pipes. Damn thing was loud.
I did get pulled over in a pickup once, older ford with a 460, headers, and glasspacks. Very loud truck, cops crawled underneath and seen the cherry bombs on it and that was enough, no ticket.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Maine is cracking down but the laws here are screwy. Basically it's illegal to modify an exhaust with the intent of making it louder than the bikes original equipment. It gets fuzzy with aftermarket pipes which are almost always louder than stock exhaust systems.

We require an inspection sticker and if the person doing the inspection thinks your bike is too loud than they'll either fail your inspection or just tell you they won't bother inspecting your bike. No SPL meter is used to determine this.

If a cop pulls you over and says your pipes are too loud, than they are too loud and you get a ticket, or "summons" as they call it here. I've never been pulled over for loud pipes but I know people who have.

It would seem costly for a state to perform noise checks on every bike from a specified distance at 35 MPH and 96 Db isn't very loud. There are some stock bikes that would surpass that number.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:08 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Colorado here. Denver enacted a noise ordinance a few years back specifically targeting motorcycles, but I have not heard of anyone being ticketed. Basically, don't ride like an asshat in the city and they won't bother you.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Thx for the info guys , I have seen / heard bikes running up and down state road 70 with just short of no exhaust on, Harley's and even some guy on a yam that the exhaust noise ( I'll call it noise ) just hurts ya ears as he comes past ya in the car with the windows down in the car.

I think ya right, if ya ride like a dick through towns ya going to get looked at. Be a little considerate in the burbs and I think ya going to be ok. Well with in reason ( just headers ) will raise an eye brow.

Ive had a few cops look my way when I'm on the custom with 3" rush's and the 1.5" baffle tubes but I think it was more , new bike rather than noise.

The only noise police I have to deal with right now is the wife as she says it's too loud when I first had the slipons with the 1.75 so I changed down to the 1.5 and it's still not good for her so I'm thinking they might have to go .😒

Well that does raise another question with inspections , Do thay just do an safety inspection check on bikes nowadays or emissions as well ?

Thx again

Wiz

Old 09-28-2017, 11:21 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

No emission check in PA.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevil