Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Which Khrome Werks Baffle Insert?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 07:19 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 909 Posts
Default Which Khrome Werks Baffle Insert?

Maybe a bit of a long shot question...

The bike is a 2020 RGL with the 114 of course. Has Stage 1 with H-D Ventilator intake, H-D Pro Tuner, and Khrome Werks 4.5 slip-ons. There are no baffled inserts installed currently. Rest of the exhaust is OEM stock.

I'm considering a set of KW inserts. I'd like to boost torque a bit if possible. I wouldn't be too worried about a little reduction in overall db, but not interesting in seriously quieting things down too much. I'm hoping someone here may have some experience and input on which KW inserts might be best. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:15 AM
13glide
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust inserts

I have both the quiet inserts and the DB refuser hp one's in mine but I'm stage2 with header. They both seem very close to each other. I've always messaged khrome werks and they always reply quickly unless at a rally but even then they usually reply by next day

The following users liked this post:
StoneTrekker (05-12-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 12:41 PM
Rodent66
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Kind of depends on what your after. Khrome Werks mufflers usually come with the dog ball baffle, (mine did) which is perforated steel tube shape with larger spherical shapes followed by reduced or necked down shapes. basically straight through. I’m quessing this is done to help reversion. These are their performance baffles. They quite down the mufflers 2-3 DB. I bought the “Touring” baffles from Khrome Werks that divert the exhaust flow into chambers to force the exhaust into the mufflers perimeter baffle. These quietened down several more DB and are very throaty. These also seem to bring back lower/mid torque lost to the straight through mufflers flow. Just my observations.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rodent66:
gntlewind (11-30-2023), porkster (05-17-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 06:56 PM
Roy K
2nd Gear
Thumbs up Packing installed in the Khrome Werks Slash Cut 3"?

I have a 2008 Heritage, stage 1, with the Khrome Werks 3" Slash cut mufflers.

I recently removed the baffles to compare tone and the packing was destroyed.

I realized I prefer the tone WITH the original packing vs. without packing and now cannot seem to identify their packing and wrap "blend", as it looks like multiple layers.

Aside from the photos looking like a decaying bird carcass, any idea how I can reproduce this type of packing/wrap to restore the original tone?

Old 11-18-2021, 09:08 PM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 413 Likes on 293 Posts

You can buy the repack kits from many of the muffler manufacturers, Get a kit and a helper, wrap the baffle and using tape to keep the wrapping tight, slide it back in the can.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:24 PM
Roy K
2nd Gear

Right, but they vary quite a bit. I am trying to figure out which is the most similar to the pics I provided.
Khrome Werks does not provide repack kits as it seems like their concoction is somewhat of a secret, according to one of the sales guys.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:26 AM
amobley98
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at the Khrome Werks 4.5" slipons with the slash cut tips. I absolutely love the deep throaty tone of the KW. I wasn't sure if they came with baffles or not since you can order the baffles alone. Reading through this post, it seems that they do come with baffles. But I'm a bit nervous to spend the money on them. I have a '21 Freewheeler with extended warranty. The parts guy at the dealership told me that any modifications to the exhaust, unless using a Harley approved system (i.e. Screaming Eagle) voids the warranty. He also stated that some dealers will still honor the warranty, but he didn't commit to his dealership honoring it. I'm interested in others' experiences with exhaust mods and warranty work. Issues?

Old 11-30-2021, 08:06 PM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 413 Likes on 293 Posts

He is talking about the headpipes, not the mufflers. Has to do with the CAT's and the EAP.

amobley98 (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 08:00 AM
amobley98
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
He is talking about the headpipes, not the mufflers. Has to do with the CAT's and the EAP.
I was clear in my conversation that I was looking at either removing the baffles from the stock slipons or purchasing just the Khrome Werks slipons (not headers). He told me that ANY mods to the exhaust voided the warranty, including changing the slipons or removing the stock baffles. Now, maybe he was dumbing it down because he was talking to a female. I certainly hope that wasn't the case. I'll have my husband call and ask the same questions and see what response he receives. I hope you are correct though!

Old 12-01-2021, 08:24 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by amobley98
I was clear in my conversation that I was looking at either removing the baffles from the stock slipons or purchasing just the Khrome Werks slipons (not headers). He told me that ANY mods to the exhaust voided the warranty, including changing the slipons or removing the stock baffles. Now, maybe he was dumbing it down because he was talking to a female. I certainly hope that wasn't the case. I'll have my husband call and ask the same questions and see what response he receives. I hope you are correct though!
I think I'd be posing the question to the service manager (or the dealer himself) as they would undoubtedly have more experience (with warranty exclusions) than the parts guy. I'm not saying he's wrong...I'm saying get your answer from a person who makes decisions there. And if necessary, get answers from other dealers.

I've been through this twice with aftermarket slip-ons and every dealer or service manager I've ever talked with has told me the same thing. Changing from stock mufflers to aftermarket parts will not automatically void the warranty. I'm running Khrome Werks pipes and my warranty is unaffected...this coming from my servicing dealer.

amobley98 (12-01-2021)