Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackpot exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jackpot exhaust question

I've finally decided what to do about the exhaust on my new SG.

I am going with Powervision flash tuner, Jackpot 2-1-2 head pipe with ceramic coating, and one of their muffler choices.

I am leaning towards 4.5" pro-touring.

Has anyone heard both the 4" Jackpot muffler and the 4.5" pro-touring and can describe the difference in sound / loudness level? Appreciate any feedback.

I'm quite impressed with Fuelmoto. I haven't done business with them before, but everyone on here speaks highly of them and I really like this overall package - exactly fits what I'm looking for.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 AM
funkydrummer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much difference in sound, as explained to me by Jamie@ F.M. The difference being mostly cosmetic. I currently run their set up that includes the S.E. Stage I air box, Power Vision Tuner as well as a set of the 4" Touring slip on's. Love everything about them. Fit and finnish are superb. Service was great also. My only issue was the overall db's of the set up. Im old school in the sense that I believe that loud pipes save lives. I called Jamie back after a month of riding with the new set up and ordered the competition baffle. After installing those with the baffle wrap from the original baffles that came with the 4" slash down's, I could not be more pleased. So, long story short...it's a cosmetic thing in reference to the 4" vs. the 4.5". One thing I can tell you is that you can get the billet end cap on the 4.5", no such luck on the 4".

Old 02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
backdoc_rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Not much difference in sound, as explained to me by Jamie@ F.M. The difference being mostly cosmetic. I currently run their set up that includes the S.E. Stage I air box, Power Vision Tuner as well as a set of the 4" Touring slip on's. Love everything about them. Fit and finnish are superb. Service was great also. My only issue was the overall db's of the set up. Im old school in the sense that I believe that loud pipes save lives. I called Jamie back after a month of riding with the new set up and ordered the competition baffle. After installing those with the baffle wrap from the original baffles that came with the 4" slash down's, I could not be more pleased. So, long story short...it's a cosmetic thing in reference to the 4" vs. the 4.5". One thing I can tell you is that you can get the billet end cap on the 4.5", no such luck on the 4".
Just to clarify, the baffles that came with it were too quiet? Reason I ask is that I would like better mufflers than stock with just a very little increase in sound. Since I don't know anyone with jackpots for a sound check, I would be happy to know that you found them too quiet since that means they will probably suit me fine.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM
funkydrummer
Intermediate

Correct. With sound or "tone" as well as decible levels are subjective, for my application I found them a bit on the quite side for my taste. I will say that they are precisely as advertised by Fuel Moto. A more aggressive, loping tone without the drone that are commonly associated with some slip on's. Again, great product that will get you to either side of the sound level spectrum that you prefer. Huge upgrade over OEM in terms of sound as well as performance. Just my $0.02

Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
clbking
Cruiser

Originally Posted by backdoc_rider
Just to clarify, the baffles that came with it were too quiet? Reason I ask is that I would like better mufflers than stock with just a very little increase in sound. Since I don't know anyone with jackpots for a sound check, I would be happy to know that you found them too quiet since that means they will probably suit me fine.
You can listen to FM's exhausts at their You Tube channel site. Its in their website. I did that and listened to a lot of exhausts. Settled on V&H in the end. The PV tuner and their A/C Stage 1 are nice and what I went with as well. Good luck

Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

how do those endcaps attach to your slipons.... I dont see a screw on the website picture?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 AM
funkydrummer
Intermediate

They attach via a set screw that is on the inside of the end cap and snugs to the inside of the muffler

Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 AM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't heard the 4 inch pipes but I can tell you I have the 4.5 and have posted about them a few times. First of all, I'm not disappointed with fuel moto but INITIALLY I wasn't happy with the 4.5 pipes.

I LOVE the look, no doubt. My concern at first was these things seemed so loud. I have a new set of scala headsets that I wanted to use but couldn't with these pipes. Just too loud to be able to communicate on them because all the other person would hear was the noise of the pipes. As time has gone on I've either became used to the pipes, lost enough hearing that they don't sound as loud (ha ha) or they have quietened down a bit. Not sure which it is but I don't mind the sound now. In their defense, fuel moto did offer to change them out (never asked if that was free of cost or not because again, I really like the look of the pipes).

I went from the single pipe to the 2-1-2 setup. I noticed absolutely no difference in performance after adding the new system including tuner and air cleaner. At about $1,500 I was hoping it would wake it up a bit but it didn't. I'm not expecting a crotch rocket out of a harley touring bike so that really didn't matter to me, it's just simply an observation that I didn't notice a difference.

Here is what I think may be important to you. I did not realize that the 4.5 pipes do not have any sort of different baffle available. I wrote to fuel moto to try and obtain a different baffle that might quiet the pipes down a bit. No such luck. If you go with the 4 inch pipes they do have that option. In hindsight, that's probably what I would have done if I still purchased from fuel moto. If you're looking for a pipe that isn't LOUD I'm not sure that the 4.5 would be a good choice. I listened to the sound clips....it's not the same as sitting on top of them.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I came to that same conclusion from sound clips to real world applications. Ive even tried video of my own and theres a filtering effect from the recording equipment at diff db's, i guess its to keep from damaging the equipment or its just not designed to recieve certain db's. The stock Jackpot 3.5" i listened to turned out to be louder than I wanted. I walked away from that with the knowledge that anything you hear from recordings will be louder to the naked ear. I used to play around with different packing media for exhaust tones when I rode Metric bikes and there are ways to quiet the tone with packing media, baffles orafice openings but I didnt want to screw with it anymore, i just wanted the sound I heard on the website. I have learned from previous experience what a baffle would likely look like for it to have a quiet tone. I leaned if the orafice opening at the jug side is around 1" nothing bigger with the outter cercumferance wrapped with muffler packing, the sound will be tamer than if the opening is bigger and no packing ( considerably louder). I was observing the baffle choices from American Customs for what they call mid growl and i would bet cash money those tiny baffles are going to be much louder than mid- growl.....

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

They attach via a set screw that is on the inside of the end cap and snugs to the inside of the muffler
Is your experience from having them that the set screws will hold it tight enough that they wont fall out eventually? At $75 per cap that would really blow if the screw wouldnt hold em.

Quick Reply: Jackpot exhaust question