Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

AIR CLEANER QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:56 AM
MAX EVO
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIR CLEANER QUESTION

Looking for a great breathing air cleaner to compliment a 95 build.I heard the Kurakyn Twin Velocity is good.Any suggestions would be appreciated thx

Old 11-27-2005, 01:43 PM
MegaHDman
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AIR CLEANER QUESTION

Not a fan of too many Kurakyn products. If you want a no frills no BS AC go here: http://www.bcheads.com/new.htm Flows 800cfm. I doubt there any other AC's on the market that flow even remotely close to that using either an aftermarket or stock cover assembly.

Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 PM
lester
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That filter is about as much overkill as I have seen, besides being butt ugly. Pretty much any of the aftermarket filters like the big sucker, se II etc. will handle most any street motor with no problems at all as far as flow.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:20 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta agree with Lester.
I wouldn't mount that ugly filter on my lawnmower.
We are talking about a twin cylinder motorcycle, not a Top Fuel Dragster.
Not only that, but I would love to see the water an engine will injest during a rain storm running one of those ugly things.

I'm going with the Twin Velocity. The core of the filter is a K&N, so I Imagine it will flow more that what this engine needs.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 AM
rkoko164
Cruiser

How about a "BigSucker" with a simple chrome cover just covering the top, leaving the filter exposed?

[IMG]local://upfiles/4026/A178B0FE3B9946C4A28F249A6AA35783.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2005, 02:11 AM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: George C

Not only that, but I would love to see the water an engine will injest during a rain storm running one of those ugly things.

I'm going with the Twin Velocity. The core of the filter is a K&N, so I Imagine it will flow more that what this engine needs.

Ummm, hello, they show the air filter UNCOVERED! You use your stock football AC cover or something similiar to put OVER IT! [:-]

Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 AM
lester
Banned

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

Ummm, hello, they show the air filter UNCOVERED! You use your stock football AC cover or something similiar to put OVER IT!
Ummm, hello, where's the benefit of the filtration in the top of the filter with a football or other cover over it then , you can't win them all sport ! Just a waste of filtration made to look impressive but actually does nothing more than the rest of the K&N etc.

I see they are having an "OVERFLOW" filter sale on that piece, save $50, guess they can't get rid of them from the looks of it.

Kind of like my ugly sister, we've been trying to get rid of her for a long time too with no success

Old 11-28-2005, 10:45 AM
RK101
Intermediate

Personally I dont think yours would move any more air than this. Plus it looks a hell of alot better.
As I'm sure most would agree.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2878/CF15126F0AF048119FC3F242783F66A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-28-2005, 01:04 PM
MegaHDman
Banned

ORIGINAL: lester

ORIGINAL: MegaHDman

Ummm, hello, they show the air filter UNCOVERED! You use your stock football AC cover or something similiar to put OVER IT!
Ummm, hello, where's the benefit of the filtration in the top of the filter with a football or other cover over it then , you can't win them all sport ! Just a waste of filtration made to look impressive but actually does nothing more than the rest of the K&N etc.

I see they are having an "OVERFLOW" filter sale on that piece, save $50, guess they can't get rid of them from the looks of it.

Kind of like my ugly sister, we've been trying to get rid of her for a long time too with no success
First off, its not about "winning them all", its about letting people know WHAT WORKS. I could care less how much chrome is slobbered onto a product if it doesn't perform. There are lots of us, who actually worry more about performance than looks. There are lots who care about looks only, and then there are those who want both.

The item I pictured below can be classified in the "both" category to many, since you can use a stock painted, custom painted or chrome assembly cover that works with the stock AC center bolt pattern on the twin cam engine.

The stock football cover(whether chrome or painted) does not block the top from filtering air through at all. Air is able to easily flow through from the sides, and around to the top(outside of engine/inside of cover)of the 2 piece K&N filter. And it is one of the best performing filters. After doing a few base line runs with NO air filter on the carb in a high performance engine application, the air filter itself was installed to see if there was any difference in hp output from restriction of the filter element in place. There was none.

Now, there are other air filters on the market that also perform admirably and just as well on basic street builds, but one thing this element has on many of the others is the ability to keep that performance over the course of thousands of miles. The extra cfm capacity this filter has allows the engine to pull in air efficiently without clogging up thus restricting air flow over the course of time. We have found that other air filters need to be cleaned or replaced much sooner since they dont have the same surface area that this unit has. And for the price of admission this unit can't be beat. Its probably the best bang for the buck I have seen. Remember cfm is the name of the game on your AC. And a good AC will not reduce the performance of your engine when installed onto it. Many air cleaners do significantly reduce hp. On a pretty moderate build this AC gained over 5hp when replacing the SE "Stage 1" AC kit. There aren't any small unobtrusive AC's that come anywhere near 800cfm that I have found. If your bike is hitting over 100hp(and thats not hard to do on a twin cam), this becomes a very good option.

Don't like the looks? No big deal, there are others on the market that do a pretty good job as well, some much better than others. This one though is a sweet setup, especially for those going for the sleeper look, or those who like the stock football cover assembly, and don't want to spend a ton of money. Thats why I posted it. But I'll tell you one thing. BC GEROLOMY is a very well respected performance shop. They don't sell BS there.

[IMG]http://i23.photobuck

Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
lester
Banned

On a pretty moderate build this AC gained over 5hp when replacing the SE "Stage 1" AC kit.
I hope you don't expect anyone here to believe that 5 HP increase was due to JUST the replacement of the air filter, do you?
Above all, I sincerly hope that YOU don't believe that yourself!
OVER 5 HP from the SEII to that unit, I think not unless the SEII was blocked (dirty) significantly when it was removed.

Just some things that are hard to believe and this moves right to the top of that list. With the addition of basically just the top section over the regular K&N, is that where you are claiming the additional "over 5 HP" comes from?

These charts from the K&N site show a bit different picture than the site you posted in regards to the flow volume. I guess everyone just wants their filter to look the best, and at reduced price from $190 for your suggested unit, more than twice the price of the K&N (actually almost tripple the price), I really do not see me running out to buy one of these units real soon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4580/BEDB4C0DBE98456FAF90B042BB037775.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: AIR CLEANER QUESTION