Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Oil coolers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Oil coolers?

Oil coolers work, they do what they are designed for, they cool oil. Oil is the life blood of an aircooled engine, if you can drop the temp of the oil, you can extend the life of your engine.
Although, oil coolers work best when air is moving across them, as long as the ambient air around them is a lower temperature than the cooler itself it will release heat even when still. Also, when moving, more heat will be removed by the engine fins and the oil cooler than by just the engine fins alone, so the engine will cool down more in stop & go traffic with the cooler than without.

The short answer: If you scoot runs hot it's probably a good idea to add an oil cooler.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the HD oil cooler on my bike last night................very easy install, and hopefully it will work. My oil temps have been running higher since I did my motor work last winter, so I'm hoping this will lower them down and help out the situation.

Only downfall is that I had to remove the Chrome regulator cover for the install.............but I gained a chrome oil cooler cover.

Steve

Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long did it take you to do the install?

Merlinii great looking scoot.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM
MercRider
Intermediate

Thanks guys..

Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil has a proper operating range. Cooler is not always better. Although no manufacturer will actually come out and say exactly what the minimum temp should be, it's generally accepted to be 180*. Max temp depends on what type of oil, and what application.

Many people say the oil must get over 210* so the water will boil off. Not true. Water will evaporate at 100*; it just takes longer.

Oil coolers work with no air flow. They just don't work very well. Same thing with an air cooled engine, or a water cooled engine. The emit heat without air flow, just not very well.

Another thing to remember is that you need a thermostat. You need to get the oil up to that majical 180*. Even with a thermostat, you willhave trouble doing that in the winter. A thermostat always allows a small amount of oil to pass - usually 10%. That allows all the oil in the system to warm up at the same time. If it didn't do that, as soon as the valve opened you'de get a cold slug of oil. That's a bad thing.

Do you need a cooler? Maybe. What is your average oil temp now? If you consistantly run 240* or more, I would say you need one. Since you live in northern IL, I would also get a cover for it.

My street/track car has an oil cooler with a thermostat. Unless it's really hot out I keep the cooler covered with some clear duct tape on the street. On the track, it will quickly rise to 240* without the cooler; even on a cool morning.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MJR

How long did it take you to do the install?
I did the oil/filter change while I was at it, and it took me about 1.5 hours total to be all done. It's a very clean install, directions are very helpful, and the install doesn't have any hidden tricks to it.

Steve

Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
MercRider
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Another thing to remember is that you need a thermostat. You need to get the oil up to that majical 180*. Even with a thermostat, you willhave trouble doing that in the winter. A thermostat always allows a small amount of oil to pass - usually 10%. That allows all the oil in the system to warm up at the same time. If it didn't do that, as soon as the valve opened you'de get a cold slug of oil. That's a bad thing.

Do you need a cooler? Maybe. What is your average oil temp now? If you consistantly run 240* or more, I would say you need one. Since you live in northern IL, I would also get a cover for it.

My street/track car has an oil cooler with a thermostat. Unless it's really hot out I keep the cooler covered with some clear duct tape on the street. On the track, it will quickly rise to 240* without the cooler; even on a cool morning. I just want to install one cuz my bike feels like its runs really hot when i go on long rides..

My oil usually runs around 190-200 degrees.. Well, I'm not really sure cuz I usually look at my oil temp. after the bike has been sitting around.. So ur also telling me that when its cold out, just put a cover on my cooler and take it off on hot days? I also have some questions on the thermostat.. I don't really see any oil coolers that came with one.. where do i get them? I don't know if its a good idea for me to use an oil cooler that i had from one of my junk cars(the cooler is tiny) or just buy an after market one? To me a cooler is a cooler..

Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: MercRider

My oil usually runs around 190-200 degrees.. Well, I'm not really sure cuz I usually look at my oil temp. after the bike has been sitting around.. So ur also telling me that when its cold out, just put a cover on my cooler and take it off on hot days? I also have some questions on the thermostat.. I don't really see any oil coolers that came with one.. where do i get them? I don't know if its a good idea for me to use an oil cooler that i had from one of my junk cars(the cooler is tiny) or just buy an after market one? To me a cooler is a cooler..
It takes a long time for oil to cool down. 190-200* is actually a pretty low oil temp. I wouldn't add a cooler for that.

The thermostat is usually part of the filter boss adapter. That's the way the official HD kit is. Jagg also has one that's external. Kinda bulky IMO. But, remember that some oil will always be passing though the cooler. On a cool day, the oil may not warm up enough to be truly effective. That's where the cover comes in.

Not all oil cooler are alike. Plate styles are the best, like Mocal. If you have one from a car that's small enough and clean enough, no reason not to use it if you need one.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 AM
MercRider
Intermediate

So as long as my temp reads around 190-200 I'm ok? How hot is too hot? I haven't really check my temp on very long runs, but sometimes it feels like the engine is running/ feeling really hot.. I'm not really used on HD/ v-twin bikes, I'ved always had bikes that had some type of cooler even on my dirt bikes..
Thanks, saved me some money..

Old 10-13-2007, 08:44 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Too hot depends on the oil. A good synthetic can withstand temps of 260* for a while without degrading. Dino oil somewhat less.

I would say if your oil is consistantly less than 220*, don't bother with a cooler. You won't gain anything.