Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

07 FLHT Oil Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM
BubZ
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 FLHT Oil Temp Gauge

Can someone tell me what the additional adapter for an 07 FLHT oil temp gauge kit is, and where it mounts. I'm thinking about putting the temp sensor in the extra plug on my oil pan but I noticed it looks like the sensor would thread into either one of the holes on top of the oil filter bracket as well.

If it makes more sense to do it with the HD adapter I will, but if they are trying to sell me a $2 pipe adapter for $47 then of course I'm nt going that route.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

BubZ

Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 AM
07SG
Cruiser
Default RE: 07 FLHT Oil Temp Gauge

If I understand correctly the kit that you refer to contains a T-fitting to splice into the rubber oil cooler line.

I too thought about what you are considering at the oil filter, but decided against and just installed in the pan. I figured the sensor would stick out and look like crap.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 PM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't waste your time with the adapter that puts the temp probe in the cooler bracket. I don't know of anybody that has successfully done that. It just doesn't work. After replacing probes and guages my dealer finally gave up and put the probe in the oil pan. The adapter kit is a waste of $50. HD won't acknowledge the problem with the design of the adapter kitbut is more than willing tokeep replacing probes and/or guages until you get tired of the hassle and put the probe in the oil pan.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 3/8" x 1/8" brass "bushing" at any of the big box hardware stores.

Intsall it in the "spare" opening in the oil pan.

Simple, easy fix.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 PM
BubZ
Stage III

I would have to agree that the oil pan is the best choice. I appreciate the info. Now can someone help with the wiring? The instructions are incredibly vague. Does the power and ground need to picked up in the fuse box behind the side cover or can it picked up behing the fairing?

Heck, I'm not even sure the fuse box behind the side cover is what they are referring too. They really go out of thier way to get you to bring to the dealer but I'm ot going to do that. I worked my way through college as an instrument and electronics tech so I know how to doelectrical work. I have the power going to the acc switch that is not going to be used...what do you guys think?

BubZ

Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Bub: I installed the sender in the pan and used the power and ground inside the fairing.