Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cobra Fi2000R O2, not happy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:54 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobra Fi2000R O2, not happy

Having read the article by Joe Minton, in American Rider, about the heat from the lean conditions of the 96 motor, I purchased a Cobra Fi2000R O2 for my 2008 HD Superglide. My bike is totally stock. I was planning a trip out west next year and was worried about the "heat" problem. I installed the Cobra without any problem, with the recommended settings for a stock bike. The bike does seem to run better, without a doubt. I have about 3000 miles on her, so I would beleive she is broken in. In my daily travels, I was getting around 43 miles to the gallon. After the Cobra installation, I dropped to 36. After calling Cobra, and informing them of my displeasure with the mileage, the tech told me that the green pot (cruise) was not adjustable and to disconnect the Cobra, that I provbably didn't need it. Any advice from anyone? I really didn't want to spend the money on a "stage 1", I just wanted to take care of the heat.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:17 PM
HogGlider
Tourer
Default RE: Cobra Fi2000R O2, not happy

On a stock motor you shouldn't have to worry about any long distance trips and the heat issues. Once you start modifying intake/exhaust, then you shuold probably look into a fuel management system such as the SERT, Power Commander, or if you can make it work within your budget, check out the Thundermax W/Auto tune. I had a buddy who put the Cobra system on his softy and took it off the same day because he was just not happy with the results

Old 11-19-2007, 10:11 PM
marcss
Road Captain

From what I have read, stage 1 download won't take care of the heat issue. Don't understand what the Cobra tech is saying!! But these lean (thus hot) running bikes are a problem, but most go ahead and get a better breathing air cleaner and pipes and then add the fuel controller because you would then be super lean with out it. You will lose some mileage, because you are no longer running lean and hot. I heard the TV III does a good job of balancing performance and milage. I'm leaning towards that. There are people having problems with every fuel controller out there and people lovingevery one of themalso. Kind of a crap shoot.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 AM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

PM me if you want to get rid of that Fi2000R

Old 11-20-2007, 09:46 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to wait till spring and play with it somemore. Marcss, I didn't understand the tech either, and I haven't tried for myself to adjust the green pot (cruise). I'm in northern Illinois, so I won't get alot of time now to play. Jimmy, I'll keep that in mind, but it will probably be a little while.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM
BLUFLHX
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the time to "dial it in" you will be happy...the recommended settings in the instruction sheet will get you close...but every bike is different and you will need to do some road testing to get it right for your bike

Old 11-25-2007, 07:11 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tdegroot

Having read the article by Joe Minton, in American Rider, about the heat from the lean conditions of the 96 motor, I purchased a Cobra Fi2000R O2 for my 2008 HD Superglide. My bike is totally stock. I was planning a trip out west next year and was worried about the "heat" problem. I installed the Cobra without any problem, with the recommended settings for a stock bike. The bike does seem to run better, without a doubt. I have about 3000 miles on her, so I would beleive she is broken in. In my daily travels, I was getting around 43 miles to the gallon. After the Cobra installation, I dropped to 36. After calling Cobra, and informing them of my displeasure with the mileage, the tech told me that the green pot (cruise) was not adjustable and to disconnect the Cobra, that I provbably didn't need it. Any advice from anyone? I really didn't want to spend the money on a "stage 1", I just wanted to take care of the heat.
tdegroot:

I'm assuming here that the article your referring to was in American Rider's October 2007 Issue. Joe Minton wentto great depths detailing his experience with the Fi2000R and mentions on page 91 in his second article that:
The Cobra Fi2000R has three pots for low-speed, mid-range, and full-throttle settings.
I'm also assuming the "green" pot is the mid-range adjustment, and can't understand why a tech would say it's not adjustable. I'm not at all familiar with the Cobra unit, but Minton gives it high praise in both articles in this issue with details on how to "dial it in".

If you don't have that particular issue, would recommend you buy/borrow/steal one. Minton also mentions several pages of informationon Cobra's website that he would like to see incorporated into the printed instructions.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: WVRDKING

ORIGINAL: tdegroot

tdegroot:

I'm assuming here that the article your referring to was in American Rider's October 2007 Issue. Joe Minton wentto great depths detailing his experience with the Fi2000R and mentions on page 91 in his second article that:
The Cobra Fi2000R has three pots for low-speed, mid-range, and full-throttle settings.
I'm also assuming the "green" pot is the mid-range adjustment, and can't understand why a tech would say it's not adjustable. I'm not at all familiar with the Cobra unit, but Minton gives it high praise in both articles in this issue with details on how to "dial it in".

If you don't have that particular issue, would recommend you buy/borrow/steal one. Minton also mentions several pages of informationon Cobra's website that he would like to see incorporated into the printed instructions.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

I have the Cobra Fi2000R O2, which hooks right up to the stock O2 sensors. The "green" pot is low speed. On the O2 model, the instructions say that the green pot is not adjustable and to leave it alone, benefit of the O2 model is to be able to take advantage of the stock map while at the same time increasing fuel so as not to be running real lean. I think Minton tested the model that bypasses the O2 sensors.Cobra suggests that on a stock bike that the mid-range be set to 0 and the full throttle be set to 1. Zero is suppose to make it like stock. I originally had it set as they suggested the first time. Got 36mpg. The second time I turned the "high speed" pot down to zero also and acheived the same 36mpg. I have read all the instructions. I could have bought the unit that bypasses the O2 sensors completely, but their website touts the "advantages" of using the the stock map with the sensors incorporated. This made sense to me, as all I intended to do was to add a little fuel so as to run not so lean, therefore not so hot. Never figured that I couldn't adjust the "low speed or cruise" pot. The instructions say to leave it as is, the tech said it would not do anything if adjusted. The tech also told me to disconnect the ground wire and that the bike would return to total stock, he thought, and to call him back and let him know how it worked? It's cold and snowing, so I'll have to wait to play with it some more. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

From the October '07 American Rider, Minton states:
Out of the shop and back on the road, our Dyna Twin Cam 96 was a different motorcycle.
So I gather it's an '07 Dyna with O2 Sensors.

Also states:
The Fi2000R also needs to be connected to the Oxyger sensors on the header pipes, which required unbolting the regulator.
Futher reading states:
A subsequent mileage check revealed that our final dyno adjustments with the Cobra were too rich for best efficiency. This is something I expected and consider normal after initial tuning. We got 40.6 mpg, which isn't all that bad, but it should be closer to 48. As I write this we are in the midst of leaning the Fi2000R's middle dial position to find the best compromise of power and mileage.
Minton goes on to mention in his second article ofadjusting the full-throttle(full-throttle AFR)and part-throttle(mid-throttle mixture)settings. Nowhere does he mention the low-speed setting. So I wouldsuggestleaving thispot at the factory default setting as the instructions state.

IMO, you may want to hang onto the Cobra Unit until the weather improves. Or if within your budget find a qualified Dyno Tuner that's familiar with the Cobra.

Minton's tuning procedures(second article)discusses getting the bike to adequate riding temperatures and spending the necessary time riding and adjusting the Cobra till the performance and mpg are satisfactory.

Like you, our weather is cold and wet, and not a good time to ride and tune.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Tom:

Something I just thought of...............

IMO, you basically need to richen up the portion of the ECM's map that's controlled by the O2 sensors. With the SERT, we do this in the Closed Loop Bias Table. You can basically adjust the Closed Loop AFR from 14.6-14.7 (stock) down to 14.1-14.2 AFR. A small adjustment of .5 AFR, but it really helps in cooling down the '07 Twin Cams and doesn't kill the mpgs; and I would suspect it would also help your '08 model.

Nightrider has introducedan O2 Sensor Inline Enrichment Devicefor ~$50.00(till 11/30/07)that's supposed to do the same thingas I mentioned above using the SERT. It's new, and some users are writing positive results from using them. IMO, it may be worth the small investment to accomplish what your after; especially till better weather arrives and you can fully test the Cobra. And if theDevice does indeed work as advertised, you could sell the Cobra or keep it for future performance upgrades.

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

[sm=confused06.gif]

Quick Reply: Cobra Fi2000R O2, not happy