Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Keyed vs Splined Twin Cam Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Wyo_Wide_Glide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyed vs Splined Twin Cam Drive?

Hello All,
Long time reader, first time poster, keep up the great work, now for my question. I got a good deal (?) on a set of Andrews TW26 chain drive cams for my 06 Ultra build-up. The cams are for the 1999 Twin Cam and have a keyed shaft for the cam gear instead of the present splined shaft. Did HD have a problem with the key and keyway striping out of the cam and cam gear? I see they did an update on the bolt, are these OK to use or should I stay with the splined style?
Thanks

Old 12-01-2007, 10:58 AM
67xlch
Advanced
Default RE: Keyed vs Splined Twin Cam Drive?

The 99 cam gear had the key made onto the gear. There were some issues with the bolt that holds the gear and the keyed gear stripping. Andrews made a gear with a seperate key for cam upgrades on the 99. There is a thin washers that goes on the engine side of the cam plate where an o-ring is located. The washer and o-ring are there to keep the roller bearing in place as there is also one thin washer on the gear side of the camshaft. The spacer is made onto the Andrews gear instead of seperate like the oem part. In some cases the gear has to be shimmed to align the cam gear and pinion gear. Andrews has kits for their gear and probably a better explaination. Here's the link: http://www.andrews-products.com/PDF_...8_chain_RB.pdf

Old 12-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Wyo_Wide_Glide
Intermediate
Default RE: Keyed vs Splined Twin Cam Drive?

So, has anyone ran the keyed camshaft/gear setup for any length of time and had or have not had any problems? Not a good thing when the engine turns and the cams don't, I'd rather not go through that!
Thanks