Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

New one - Diesel as fuel stabilizer??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New one - Diesel as fuel stabilizer??

Here's a new one to me, not that I'm a seasoned biker.

I was at a dealer far from home (flew there) just checking things out and mentioned that riding season was about over for me and I just need to put in some Sta-bil and wax her. He said he was old school and puts a water bottle cap full of diesel fuel in a 5 gal tank to stabilize the fuel. No need to pay so much for Sta-bil when a few pennies worth of diesel will do the same thing

Has anyone ever heard of doing this and does it work? I have only heard very negative things about diesel in a gas engine. I have a EFI 96 engine and definately don't want to mess anything up. I have never used a fuel stabilizer in the past, but plan to this year. Between the weather, road salt, and possible shoulder surgery - I don't think I'll be riding for a few months.

I appreciate any feedback on this would be helpful. If I only get flamed, I know I can always use Sta-bil

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New one - Diesel as fuel stabilizer??

I have neverheard of that either. For the few bucks saved I would not take the chance.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some stabilizers will work w/diesel or gasoline engines,mainly soy based products.Diesel as an additive is a new one.I could see the use maybe helping rust conditions.Most of todays gasolines just wont last longer than 3 months no matter what is added.Plus summer blends dont like cold weather.Its a catch 22.Full tank,less condensation,less rust,carb parts like accelerator partssurvive better but the garage fire is always a chance.Many swear by sta-bil but would they get the same results starting bike periodically and adding fuel to tank as needed during time out???

Old 12-18-2007, 11:06 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have had customers make a mix up and add just a small amount of diesel to the gas tank while at the pump. AMount wise was less than a .2 gallons. Bike would not run at all. I think I would spend the money on sta-bil and go from there . Come spring drain the old fuel and fill with fresh. The old fuel will work but stinks( when run)and does not run as well as fresh fuel would.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 PM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses. 3 is enough for me not to try it. I've got a full tank to minimize any condensation and will be picking up some Stabil for good measure. I hope that it is not 3 months before I can ride again, but I sure want to be sure my bike is ready when the roads and I are

Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesel is nasty to some seal components that are not specified for diesel. Too much in the fuel it will detonate like crazey. Bad idea. Drop a standard O ring in diesel and let it sit overnight. It will be twice the size in the morning and will stay that way.
Ron

Old 12-20-2007, 05:19 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

As a 30 year veteran of the "trucking wars" and a small fleet owner I can tell you without a doubt to forget about putting Diesel in ANY gas engine, no matter how small the amount! To even suggest it's use as a "stabilizer" is almost absurd! Diesel does contain more lubricants than Gasoline, but it's also a lower tier fuel. It even ships as a combustable material because of it's very high flash point instead of flammable which Gasoline is. Diesel will also redily support the growth of algie, gas don't. You MUST treat diesel for growth of contaminents, even for short term (3 months or so) storage,or you have a REAL mess on your hands! Just think what Algie would do to your injection system!! Stick with a PROVEN fuel stabilizer, and YES fill your tank to the brim when storing your scoot to help with condensation.Just ride the snot out of it next spring. While the fuel may deteriorate slightly during the 3 or so months we normally store our ride, it won't harm your ride in any way.

Just MY $.02

TN Houndog