Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

High Idle and Some Surging

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle and Some Surging

06 Dyna, SE A/C, SEII slipons (the old ones), BCT Baffles, 25 Degree injectors, SERT.

A couple of months ago, my bike began to sputter and surge while accelerating after cold startups until the bike eventually got up to normal operating temperatures. However, after warming up, the bike would then idle abnormally high when coming to a stop at a red light, for example. It would eventually adjust itself back down, but, would continue the high idle thing at almost every stop. At that time I was running a DFO. I took it off for troubleshooting - leaving me with just a download to run off of. Symptoms were still there. I took it in and they replaced my 8 degree with 25 degree injectors and remapped it. Things ran fine for a day or two. Then it all started up again.

I orderded a SERT shortly after and have run 3 different maps so far. The symptoms are still there. The surging through acceleration is less noticeable right after the cold starts, but, it's still going on. The high idle issue still exists as it did before, if not worse than before. Also, once the idle adjusts back down I can sometimes hear the engine ebbing and flowing as if it's idle surging. It's subtle, but, very real.

Any techs out there with some suggestions?

Whiff

Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts
Default RE: High Idle and Some Surging

It sounds a lot like a vacum leak. I would start by checking all vacum lines and the manifold gaskets. Good luck.