Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

HQ 113" build

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 05:52 PM
stevek
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HQ 113" build

I should be getting my HQ 113" kit any day now. I bought new TP roller rockers and new lifters, I also got a SE forged crank assembly that was trued and welded. The bike already has adjustable push rods. I still need to get a SERT and, aside form finding a competent builder, is there anything else I need to worry about? After this time I don't want to tear into this motor again for a long, long time!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: HQ 113" build

". . . (I)s there anything else I need to worry about?"

Be sure you have a rider's backrest and be careful with the throttle, especially on curves.

PM Phil M, Dalton, Asuperheat, Kevin (at HQ)for suggestions, especially the clultch, throttle body, injector size, etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
stevek
Intermediate

I did talk to Kevin and he said I should try to go with the stock throttle body and injecters because they would probably work. He did mention thatI might have to go with bigger injecters if I have trouble with tuning. And, oh yeah, DOH!!!, a beefed up clutch would be a good idea!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest you bite the bullet from the beginning and get the SE 4.89gm/sec injectors. They will run at a lower duty cycle and make tuning easier. I am running the Primo Pro clutch and it is an excellent piece and works well with an easy pull. You could stay with the stock clutch and add an Aim VPC and that would work well too, probably the VP92T would be the right selection if you go that route. Do a little investigation. Another 113 is going together right now in Alberta by Hardav23 and he is going with the Primo as well. Be prepared for your exhaust note to be much louder as you are pumping a lot more through the muffler.

Ditto on the riders backrest ! You are gonna love the power of this build, and the streetability. It is an all around good build that give power, longevity and is well mannered on the street!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Steve... you're gonna live it!

I agree 100% on the clutch. A VPC-92t & a S/E heavy diaphram spring are one option and another great option would be the Primo-Rivera Pro Clutch... Is there an echo in here (Dalton?)?

For the 01 Softail, you can use V-Rod injectors, as there is not a direct S/E replacement for that style TB.

FWIW.... I ran the same (Delphi 44mm) stock TB on my HQ120 for a month or so and it was AWESOME. You will be VERY surprised as to just how well that piece will work.

If you decide to try a larger TB later, I would not go too big ~ perhaps 50mm MAX. Dalton is running a 50 on his 120 & he can tell ya just how well it works...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
stevek
Intermediate

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll definately look into the V-Rod injectors. I think I recall Kevin mentioning those. As for the clutch, I may have to go with a VPC for now due to the escalating cost involved here or maybe the SE clutch because I've got some chrome cash I need to spend before it expires. Do you guys think I need the absolute latest SERT or will an older version work just fine? and what about the oil pump, is my stock one going to work or should I consider upgrading that right away, too?

Old 04-02-2008, 03:04 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

You don't need to fret over the latest sert version.

As long as there is not excessive scoring on the camplate or in the pump, it should be fine. It is worth considering a Baisley LM-002 relief spring for your camplate. If it is determined that the pump should be replaced, the new S/E camplate & pump combo is a good option.

On your '01, I'd probably go ahead and spring for a new set of litters too.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
stevek
Intermediate

I did buy new lifters, I forgot to mention it in the original post. Phil M, I thought I read somewhere else in the forum that the new oil pump is sold together with the cam plate but the cam plate uses no bearings in it and that makes me nervous as heck. I will get a the spring you mentioned because I've noticed that over longer periods of sitting the oil is draining from the tank into the crank caseso, I guess it's getting worn after 32,000 miles.Thanks.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: stevek

I did buy new lifters, I forgot to mention it in the original post. Phil M, I thought I read somewhere else in the forum that the new oil pump is sold together with the cam plate but the cam plate uses no bearings in it and that makes me nervous as heck. I will get a the spring you mentioned because I've noticed that over longer periods of sitting the oil is draining from the tank into the crank caseso, I guess it's getting worn after 32,000 miles.Thanks.
The plate & pump are sold as a package. The kits for pre-07 (99~06) still use bearings ~ the same as your stocker.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to jump in, even though the plate with "no bearings" doesn't fit your bike, no-one should be afraid of this set-up. Ball or needle bearings are not used in the automotive industry in car engines for cams or cranks and they last just fine. I have had everything from small stockers to monster 700hp plus engines with plain bearings and they actually are a better set-up, less moving parts and if you do happen to get a small piece of foreign material in there, it will embed in the plain bearing, not so with a ball or roller, it will either break or score the bearing causing issues.

Quick Reply: HQ 113" build