Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Not so nice engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Gem99Ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not so nice engine noise

Sounds on our V-Twins carries like you won't believe. The noise sounds like it's coming from everywhere! And the list of "could be's" will be a long as the list of components. It might be a minor problem, or on the other hand...

Don't take any chances - take the bike in NOWand find out what the problem is. It's not going to get better, and contrary to our hopes, it won't heal itself. Continuing to ride it with something wrong is simply going to cost more in repairs. Glad you still have some warranty left.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 AM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Not so nice engine noise

Ok, I finally got a chance to open up the inspection cover on my primary and have a look around. I took a small magnet pen and rolled it around the bottom of the primary from front to rear the best I could. I found some shavings in the oil...bummer! So far, it doesn't appear to be a ton of metal, but never the less any shavings is bad shavings. The oil itself appears to be relatively clean, but there is some grey grime along the walls inside the primary.

The chain, tensioner, and sprockets seem to be in good shape...so I'm thinking it might be the compensator rubbing on the primary cover, possible the nut ever so slowly drilling a hole through it. Who knows, this is all very new to me...definitely a learning experience.

This weekend I’ll pull the plug on the primary, drain the fluid, and get a better look at how many shavings are in there. I'm still not even 50 percent sure that this is cause for the horrible noise and vibration I experienced the other night, but man those shavings must be a clue!

Hopefully, it this is where my troubles reside, the damage isn't too bad. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again for all the advice...been working on cars for a long time but motorcycles are like a whole new ball game for me.

Oh I guess this thread probably belongs in the primary section now...my bad!