Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Mo power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 AM
gli.der
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mo power

Am looking for more power. I have an 07 SG w/stage 1. RH TD's PCIII, Big sucker and now want cams. The local shop suggests to start with Andrews 26's and down the road some head work. Is this a good start? I'm not looking to turn my bike into a tire melting monster, just want to have a little more when riding 2-up. They want arounf $750 for the install and that includes adjustable push rods. Does that sound about right?

Old 04-19-2008, 12:03 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Default RE: Mo power

does that include the tune??????
every one says the same thing they are never looking for a tire melting monster. Before i opened up the motor i would really ask my self what is it do i want. 750 here 500 there well you know how it goes . your better off waiting till your sure what is it that you really want then pull the trigger and get a whole pkg that you can really feel the power and get what ya paid for. thats just my opinion as i have spent money foolishly in the past . now i really went over board and went all out with it this time.
ride it a while longer and then decide what you really want and need

Old 04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I recommend the Head-Quarters 500 cam; similar profile to the Andrews 26, but with an earlier closing intake valve which provides earlier torque. I have the HQ cams in my '04 EG and like them a lot--for me they provide enough power to forget about a 95" build, at least for a while.

Another alternative to consider is installing a 30 teethsprocket that changes your final drive to 3.15 from 2.96 (?)--Dalton and others here have done this and like it a lot for the torque it delivers.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 AM
gli.der
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SEDELUXE
Yeah, the tune and dyno is included. Thx. for your input, I definately don't want to do things twice.
does that include the tune??????
every one says the same thing they are never looking for a tire melting monster. Before i opened up the motor i would really ask my self what is it do i want. 750 here 500 there well you know how it goes . your better off waiting till your sure what is it that you really want then pull the trigger and get a whole pkg that you can really feel the power and get what ya paid for. thats just my opinion as i have spent money foolishly in the past . now i really went over board and went all out with it this time.
ride it a while longer and then decide what you really want and need

Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 AM
gli.der
Cruiser

Harleypingman, is the sprocket swap in addition to what I've mentioned? or mainly instead of.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a 120 build and still went to the 30 tooth sprocket. The 07-08 bikes are geared way to tall IMO. The sprocket change alone will make a big difference. If you still want to go with cams, the Andrews 26 is a good cam for a basically stock motor, but if you plan on making future changes, the 26 does not like added compression and you will be changing cams again. Go with the HQ500, Woods TW6 or Andrews 54. They will give you a nice boost on their own and will readily accept higher compression ratios if you do a big bore or headwork. Plan ahead, you dont want to keep redoing your build (dont ask me how I know)

Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Very sound advice from Dalton. We favor the Woods cams in our engineered combinations.
Do it once and be done with it.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one question what final target.
I posted thread on this while back.Its better to go str8 to goal than make ten moves to get there and spend more money in long run.
Om guilty of this to many times,well I can afford this and Ill do and more later,just cost more for same result.
remember every change you make the shop doing work makes more.As for prices it sounds like good price to me,but then i do all my own work and will not pay someone to have fun building my bike.
Just freindly tip and if you just cant wait to get it all,dont feel bad its just our want it now kicking in,so says the worlds most guilty(me).
As for cam choice Id check with few people who are knowledgable and compare stats of cams more than the company they recommend.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

well i know that most dyno guys who know what their doing are getting 475-550 for efi tunes.Now so your paying how much for the whole job?????
i would gt that price in writing
dyno tuning by a qualified guy will take between 5-9 hrs give or take. now take into account the gear drive and cams gasket and push rods and the time it takes to install these pieces plus a dyno tune thats a dam great price.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM
bdaug50
Cruiser

I spent 2 1/2 years thinking and researching cams, then cams and a big bore (95") then heads, then this then that and that other thing. Finally I decided that if I was going to do one, then it would be best to do it all so I saved and saved and finally had enough for a 95" kit from Head-Quarters. I didn't want a tire melting monster, though it will do that if called upon, I just wanted the same as you, a bit more umph for 2 up riding and thats what I got. I didn't get a race motor, Doug will tell you he doesn't make those which made me happy, I got a motor thats reliable and has what I want when I want it. I know a bunch of folks who've done cams, then pistons, then different cams and different pistons and some head work, then different cams, pistons, and more headwork. They probably spent twice what you would to just pony up and do it all at once. Then as PhilM would say, you will have parts that compliment each other and build more power for less bucks.

Quick Reply: Mo power