Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 AM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hard to start

Ok...here's my problem..I have an 1988 FXRS..80 inch with S&S heads,pistons(10:1), S&S 520 lift cam, super e carb(68 main jet-29.5 inter.) 1/34 drag pipes..its a bear to start when its been sitting..started it approx. 2months ago ran fine..but during the whole starting process I foul plugs ....once its started an run for awhile she'll start up no problem..whatInoticed today while trying to start the bike..gas was seeping out from in between the head and cylinder(rear cylinder).....no gas coming out of the overflow tube...thought maybe needle/seat sticking..checked the plugs again..wet..cleaned them off..checked the spark..weak dull yellow spark...gonna get new plugs...I'm thinkin the plugs are badley fuel fouled and the engine is severly flooded..oil does not smell of gas really...anybody have any suggestions?...I was worried that the rear cylinder had blown a head gasket..but it was fine last time it ran..i'm guessing its pretty flooded if gas is coming out in between the cyclinder/head(in back of the head near the exhaust)..also I was thinkin of replacing the coil...I've had the bike for 5 yrs never replaced the coil..it works..but was wondering if it working at 100%..thought of replacing it for maintenance reasons...any/all suggestions would be appreciated

Vince