Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Fat Cat Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Cat Exhaust

I'm installing my Fat Cat 2 into 1 exhaust system on my 06 Street glide and I'm using the tapered HDexhaust portgaskets. (yes I'm using new ones)My question is, do I torque the exhaust headerpipe flange nuts to 100 to 120 in lbs as in the HD manual for the stock exhaust or is there a different torque recommendation for this pipe? I dont want to over torque and deformthe tapered gasket and block exhaust flow. Thanks, ................BG
ps. I already tried the se exhaust gaskets and they did not seal at all. Should have taken the advice on this board and installed the tapered ones in the beginning.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,080 Likes on 1,772 Posts
Default RE: Fat Cat Exhaust

ORIGINAL: BigGeorge

....do I torque the exhaust headerpipe flange nuts to 100 to 120 in lbs as in the HD manual
yup

Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Thanks Dawg. Now I seem to have another problem. When I align the front pipe up in the front cylinder exhaust port the back pipe ends up not in the center of the rear port but off to one sideand catches the lip of the exhaust port gasket. Its almost as if the pipe was welded wrong, not off by alot just enough to cause it not to align with the rear cyl and gasket. My luck. Guess I'll have to call D & D in the morning and see if they have a solution............BG

Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 AM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try putting in the rear one first and pull a little on the front, thats what I did...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior

I would recomend using the smaller SE gastkets I think that is what D$D recomends.

this will help guard agianst deforming of the gaskets and blocking the flow.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used the SE gaskets now twice - sealed fine. Did not have any alignment issues - however, it does take a few attempts to get her lined up just right.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

Oh another thing - I bought the Cometic Top End gasket kit and it has two exhaust gaskets which looked very similar to the SE gaskets. Problem is that they must have been slightly larger in diameter - could not get those suckers in without messing them up - they also seem to be less dense than the SE ones.

Not sure if anyone has seen this with these Cometic ones or not - just be sure to have a backup SE set.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mentor70

I would recomend using the smaller SE gastkets I think that is what D$D recomends.

this will help guard agianst deforming of the gaskets and blocking the flow.
I already tried theSE gaskets and even with it torqued properly to 120 in lbs I have leaks on both the front and rear cylinders. I've had these pipes on and off about 20 times now and no matter what gaskets I use they still leak. I found someone on another forum who is having the same exact problem so its not anything I'm doing wrong. I think I just have a bad set of pipes.........BG

Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
nearmiss
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

Oh another thing - I bought the Cometic Top End gasket kit and it has two exhaust gaskets which looked very similar to the SE gaskets. Problem is that they must have been slightly larger in diameter - could not get those suckers in without messing them up - they also seem to be less dense than the SE ones.

Not sure if anyone has seen this with these Cometic ones or not - just be sure to have a backup SE set.
I found the same thing. Bought the OEM gaskets, and they fit perfect.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have installed a few sets of Fatcat exhaust, the one on my Dyna fits perfectly and seals with just the copper ring style gasket, the one on my 07 ULtra fit like crap, no luck with the SE's and it really doesn't line up with everything all that well anyway you look at it. I ended up going with the stock type gaskets, I also swapped one out on a 103 build on an 07 StreetGlide that I helped a bud out with last year and his Fatcat fit perfectly and sealed with the SE's, may be just a quality control issue.

Quick Reply: Fat Cat Exhaust