Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Ready for the bad news! I think!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Thompson Gunner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for the bad news! I think!

I rode my 1979 Ironhead sporty into work. It was running fine. No power issues. It pulled like it always did. When I was almost to work I looked in my mirror to see a smoke trail behind me. I was smoking out of the rear cylinder only. I rode the rest of the way into work and parked it. When I came out at the end of the day I hit the starter and it just freewheeled. (Sounded like the starter didn't engage with the clutch drum.) I could hear the starter motor spinning so I figured the solenoid on the engine went bad. I replaced that and got the same thing so I trailered it home. When I pulled the side cover off the primary chain was tight as it should be and all was in place. I spun the clutch drum only to find that the gear on the engine spun freely too! Did I snap a crank shaft? Is that common on these? The engine has not seen 2500 miles since the stealership rebuilt the lower end of the engine a couple of years ago. Is it just a coincidence that the rear cylinder started smoking at the same time and am&nbsp\\;I looking at two different problems? What should I be looking at as far as parts cost if I repair this myself this time. I know I need to have someone with the jig put my crank together but beyond that is there any reason it can't be done by me? (I do have mechanical skills but no special Harley tools with the exception of a pair of homemade clutch drum pliers I made.) Any ideas on what I am looking at cost and work wise would be helpful. I know I am looking at another complete engine teardown. If not please make my day and tell me otherwise. Thanks