Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

FXE wont stay running when giving throttle! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
rockandstarr
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXE wont stay running when giving throttle! HELP

So I just picked up an 1981 FXE last week and everything has been going great! It's a custom Old School Bobber style bike with an eye catching look. Runs good too... well... it did.

Things today however are not so good??? Yesterday, I was letting a friend kickstart the bike and when he couldn't get it running, I took over and attempted to start the bike with the electric start (the original owner installed a new switch the day before I bought it bypassing the relay) needless to say... it tried to start up then nothing... Absolutely nothing! The lights wouldn't turn on or anything. So, I immediately became frustrated. I took the seat off and looked at wiring, testing and prodding. I did find one wire that had been pulled from it's clip and re set it. I made sure all connections were snug... then bam. it started right up again. Maybe my friend jarred something loose??? Well, I started it up today and let it warm up. When I went to pull away, I rolled the throttle back quickly a couple times to get the idle up. When I did, the engine acted like it was getting flooded out or something. Kind of like a hickup? I then left the drive way and sped up threw 1st gear and it kept wanting to loose power??? It only did this when I rolled back the throttle (didn't matter which gear) It also seems to get worse as the bike warms up. It will get to the point where I get it started and have to give it throttle to keep it from stalling However, if I roll to far back it stalls anyway???

The only things that were different from the first couple "problem free" rides that I had were: Friend trying to kickstart bike and failing... I adjusted the S&amp\\;S Carb mixture screw. (Set it back and still have problems) and the guy installed this bypass switch (from solenoid to positive battery lead) Problem came out of nowhere and left me confused??? The bike has been running great until yesterday's kickstarting session &nbsp\\; I've tinkerd with the carb. and that's about it. Not sure if this is an electrical problem (spark plugs/battery?) or something else. PLEASE HELP &nbsp\\;[]