Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Rocker Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
kgall575
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Cover Removal

I have the dreaded and apparently typical rocker cover leak on my '98 Heritage Classic Softail. I bought the gasket kit from the dealer for about $50 (much better quality than the originals). I have removed the tank and seat. The front cylinder was a breeze but I'm stuck on the rear cylinder. I can't get the cover pieces to come out as they keep hitting the frame. It seems like some satanical jigsaw puzzle in there. The only thing I can think of doing is removing the rocker rods somehow and the rockers thus freeing up enough space to get it all out. But, I'm not sure how the rocker assembly comes out. Help! Where should I go from here? If I do remove the rockers do you just tap the rod with a brass drift?

thanks
Kevin

Old 07-03-2008, 07:09 AM
kgall575
Stage III
Default RE: Rocker Cover Removal

BUMP

Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 AM
kgall575
Stage III

Well, since no one seemed to know or care to post in the subject... I will post my results for posterity and perhaps the search function will serve the next guy better than me.

In order to remove all the rocker cover pieces on the rear cylinder you must first remove the rocker assembly. To do that simply gently tap the rocker shaft out to the left with a brass drift after having removed all the bolts holding everything in place. It didn't take any force to remove mine. I think I could have simply pushed them out with my finger. Remember which shaft goes where as it it important that they go back in the same place. Also, if you remove the push rods remember which one goes where as they are different lengths and need to go pack in their original position. I didn't feel the need to remove the push rods. After removing the rocker assembly it's easy but still requires a little wiggling to get all the cover pieces clear of the frame. Scrape off the old crappy paper gasket and re-assemble with the new gaskets. Don't forget to line up the notch on the rocker shaft with the bolt opening otherwise the bolts will not go through the rocker assembly. Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good job !
&nbsp\\;