Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage 1 download???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Reverendbiker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 download???

Okay--someone help me with this one. The prevailing wisdom around here seems to be that the Stage 1 download leaves the bike (particularly '06 models) running very lean. Though I've seen this repeated often, I've never seen any actual proof. Being concerned about this, I've had a couple of dyno tests with A/F readings done on my '06 FLSTI (Stage 1 download, S/E Intake and S/E Pro slip-ons). Typical runs average about 70 HP and a really nice, flat AFR line that touches 14.0 at low RPM's but stays around 13.0-13.2 through most of the rev range. Best I can tell, that's no where near a lean condition. The bike runs like a champ and gets 43-45 MPG. What's not to like? I plan on going to the SERT when they are available and I go to a 95-inch build, but even my local tuner looked at the dyno results and said that he couldn't throw any rocks at the Stage 1 download on this bike.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:03 PM
..but Ill try 2 try
Cruiser
Default RE: Stage 1 download???

From what I've read and seen those AFR mixtures look great, maybe even richer than usual, but if it's running fine then leave it alone. I think 14.6 is a target number with '06 models. Or maybe they're set up to target around 14.6 from the factory. Check your plugs after a while and see what they look like, until then hammer down.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:46 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

Reverendbiker, just for my own record, do you still have the 8 degree injectors in your bike or have they been upgraded to the 25 degree ones? thanks...............BG

Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Reverendbiker
Novice

ORIGINAL: BigGeorge

Reverendbiker, just for my own record, do you still have the 8 degree injectors in your bike or have they been upgraded to the 25 degree ones? thanks...............BG
George, good question. I have the 8* injectors and I've never experienced any of the problems mentioned on the service bulletin.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:11 PM
squeeech
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G'day mate,
Maybe, those O2 sensors are confusing people, In Aussie land we don't get the O2 sensors on the '06 dynas and as you have proven (thanks again), the download is adequate with the stage 1 mods. I feel sad for those of you with the sensors, as this lean problem seems (?), to affect you guys the most. ?? do the other USA models get the (or will get), the O2 sensors?

Graham.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Reverendbiker
Novice

ORIGINAL: squeeech

G'day mate,
Maybe, those O2 sensors are confusing people, In Aussie land we don't get the O2 sensors on the '06 dynas and as you have proven (thanks again), the download is adequate with the stage 1 mods. I feel sad for those of you with the sensors, as this lean problem seems (?), to affect you guys the most. ?? do the other USA models get the (or will get), the O2 sensors?

Graham.
Best I can tell, the only US '06 models with the O2 sensors are the Dynas. My Softail Heritage doesn't have one.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:16 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

You are very lucky with those results. The stage 1 usually runs extremely lean with lots of popping and backfiring. I've seen a few examples like yours. My dealer won't even install them anymore.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:28 PM
06Heritage
Tourer

I've got the stage one download, SE air filter, SE Pro ll slipon's, and the new thunder monster baffles in them. I get a little pop on decell once in awhile, but the bike runs great.
I think i'll leave it the way it is

Old 04-03-2006, 09:08 PM
MixedNuts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys I have all the stage 1 stuff in my RKC 2005 and I too have the pop on deceland check this out, my pipes glow red right out of the heads after a couple of miles. I noticed it when I pulled into the garage witht the lights out one night.
The dealer says it's running fine and not to be concerned. If the pipes are glowing what's it doing to the combustion chambers, piston domes, exhaust valves etc...... ?
Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 AM
trning
Advanced

I had the stage one download at about 1500 miles. I'm in Calif. and my bike was popping a little on decel. The service mgr. told me that the eng was very lean due to EPA regulations and the stage one download would help. I had it done and the popping got better. Since then I've put on Krome Werks slip ons and replaced the air cleaner with the K&N stock replacement filter. So far the bike runs fine. Taking it in for the 10,000 mile service next week. I'll see what the plugs look like then.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 download???