Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C cleaning instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Vinny133
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C cleaning instructions

Can anyone tell me how to clean my air cleaner element? Arlen Ness site not responding. The guy I bought my bike off of didn't keep any of the original packaging or instructions etc. Can anyone help?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
hogdoctor
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Arlen Ness customer service ends when they cash your check.

The filter is K&N or a cheapo knockoff. Go to K&N for any filter questions.

I'll roll the filter through 1/4" deep degreaser to break the oil down, let it sit for 5 mintues, and rinse it with water from the inside out. Then let it dry in the sun, and
spray on a thin coat of K&N filter oil. That's it.

Hogdoctor

Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Vinny133
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply Hog. Not sure what type of filter it is. Its a red element. No numbers anywhere.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:58 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's probably red from the K&N oil that's on it...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:53 AM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

I just went to the bike shop, dirt that is, and bought aerosol filter cleaner and oil. The cans will say whether they are safe for foam and/or element type filters. Spray on, let set for 15-20 minutes. Hose off with water. Let dry, then spray with oil. I prefer the spray oil since it's easier to get even coverage than with the K&N squeeze bottle. Let the filter sit for awhile to make sure you don't have any light spots, reoil if you do, then install and go for a ride!!

Mike

Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you looked at the filter. To see if it needs cleaning?
I held up my K&N filter to a light, so I could see how dirty it was. It looked as clean as the day I bought it. That was with 7,000 miles on it.
I had bought the K&N filter cleaning kit. Which has the cleaner and the oil, but no sense using it until it looks like the element needs to be cleaned.
I'm sure it depends on where you ride and how much dirt is in the air. Pretty clean air here in SW Florida.
If you do clean it, when you re-oil, put on as little oil as possible. You should see the oil wick through the element material. Wait a bit and if there are some spots it didn't wick to put a little more oil on. You want to make sure you don't put too much oil on.
Tom

Old 10-12-2008, 01:33 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

I have an AN filter on my m/c, reply I got from AN a while back was clean it 'like a K&N air filter'.

I don't think it's a K&N brand filter, heard it might be made by a company called Airaid.
Just bought a K&N HD-800 filter which appears to be exactly the same size as the AN.

Will be putting this in tomorrow, I like genuine K&N filters, have them in all my vehicles.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
pacificrider
Advanced

How often do you need to clean these filters?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM
aeronautic1
Cruiser
Cool Limpio del Filtro

I have about 7000 miles on my Big Sucker. Cleaned it tonight with the K&N kit. Man, was it dirty (SE Florida with several ride across ag country to the "Left Coast")! My best advice is, don't clean the filter in the kitchen sink while the wife is home.

Attached Thumbnails Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C cleaning instructions-harley-rig-riverside.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 AM
akhdrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by aeronautic1
I have about 7000 miles on my Big Sucker. Cleaned it tonight with the K&N kit. Man, was it dirty (SE Florida with several ride across ag country to the "Left Coast")! My best advice is, don't clean the filter in the kitchen sink while the wife is home.
I don't know about not cleaning it in the kitchen sink with wife home.. make-up sex is pretty great! lol

Quick Reply: Arlen Ness Big Sucker A/C cleaning instructions