Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

More power from 96 motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:18 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

Here is how a roots Supercharger works.. If any one cares to know how. LOL

The Roots type supercharger or Roots blower is a positive displacement pump which operates by pulling air through a pair of meshing lobes not unlike a set of stretched gears. Air is trapped in pockets surrounding the lobes and carried from the intake side to the exhaust. The supercharger is driven directly from the engine's crankshaft or, in a two-stroke diesel engine, by spur gears.
Roots-style superchargers generate excessive heat due to poor efficiency and the heat transfer resulting from being mounted to the engine itself and produce very minimal power gains.

If any one cares ( My 2 Cents) Not trying to start anything......... Just info.

Last edited by DRAGO1; 12-27-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM
jam65
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And how about parasitic loses? Also not good.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Parasitic Loss is often applied to devices that consume energy from the engine to create more energy for the engine. In the internal combustion engine almost everything including the driveline causes parasitic loss. Bearings, oil pumps, piston rings, valve springs, flywheels, transmissions, driveshafts, differentials, etc., also rob the system of power.
For instance, a supercharger derives its power from the engine to create more power from the engine. The power that the supercharger consumes is parasitic loss and is usually expressed in horsepower (hp). While the hp that the supercharger consumes in comparison to what it generates is small, the hp is still measurable or calculable.One of the desirable features of a turbocharger over a supercharger is the lower parasitic loss.

Is what you are talking about Jams.

Thanks,

Old 12-27-2008, 08:35 PM
jam65
Advanced

Yes, but roots has to be less efficient than centrifugal? Turbos are what I am most fond of though.It's been a while since I touched on forced induction but just came from turbo mustangs.com and they have grown by leaps and bounds. Sorry to detract.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jam65
Yes, but roots has to be less efficient than centrifugal? Turbos are what I am most fond of though.It's been a while since I touched on forced induction but just came from turbo mustangs.com and they have grown by leaps and bounds. Sorry to detract.
They are. I love turbos.. I build 500 hp busa'.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:03 PM
jam65
Advanced

And I can't imagine the rush due to power to weight ratio. Did you ride your build or send it on it's way?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:32 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jam65
And I can't imagine the rush due to power to weight ratio. Did you ride your build or send it on it's way?
My busa is 307 hp

I just built Hayabusa that was 529hp. If you do a search on my name you will see I have posted it already. But I can do it again for you on Monday.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:21 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a dog in this fight and don't want to have. Just a suggestion, Drago; why not provide the link to the wikipedia article you're quoting when you do that (like the "roots blower" and "parasitic loss" blurbs recently)?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:11 PM
txtec
Banned
Cool no more NUTRA

Originally Posted by glens
I don't have a dog in this fight and don't want to have. Just a suggestion, Drago; why not provide the link to the wikipedia article you're quoting when you do that (like the "roots blower" and "parasitic loss" blurbs recently)?
no one to argue with no more,NTrat/superachmed been banned again. but i'm sure he'll be back,maybe as SUPERrat!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 05:25 PM
bwickes
Cruiser
Default Super Rat

I liked the old Hodaka Super Rat. Don't disgrace the good name of a fine dirt bike.

B

Quick Reply: More power from 96 motors