Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

More power from 96 motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Rebel78
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question More power from 96 motors

I want more power out of my 07 St.Bob, I got stage 1 already. Not enough, need more. At this part of the world I only have access to SE parts through my dealer, so plz try to keep the recommendations from SE catalog only, no aftermarket parts here.

My question is; should I go for 103 stage 2 kit or keep it 96 & change the heads & cams instead??

I was thinking of SE Pro MCR performance Heads & maybe the SE 204 cams.

All ideas & opinions are welcome.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

My Choice would be Heads and Cams .. rather than a lousy 7" displacement

Old 12-17-2008, 09:33 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The MCR heads are a very small chamber ( 76-80 CC) so your compression even with a flat top piston is going to too much for a small cam. Why not add a woods tw6-6 go to a 103 kit ( tq will increase greatly with the bump in CI) and have a street port done. Total parts you would be in the 1200 range. Sending part to where you live is something is done from here on a regular basis. But if you have to stay with SE only why not use the MCR head, a cam that will give the power in the rpm range you are looking at. The 257 at 10.5-10.8 will get with the program and then some in a 103 kit.

Big bore kit with cam gaskets, push rods, covers you are less than 1000 and that would be using a forged piston.

As for the MCR head they are nothing more than a relabled performer head. They are very nice head the only issue is that they still need to be blue printed, and the chambers are small. With some work we have opened them up enough ( keeping the bathtub chamber as is) to keep compression at a decent level with a bolt in style cam. Tq is where it is at, for normal street use.

Last edited by HDWRENCH; 12-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:42 AM
stevent
Road Master

My choice would be buy a used GSXR or R1, in the long run it'll cost you less and give you all the performance you want. Keep your Street Bob for a fun bike.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 AM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by Rebel78
I want more power out of my 07 St.Bob, I got stage 1 already. Not enough, need more. At this part of the world I only have access to SE parts through my dealer, so plz try to keep the recommendations from SE catalog only, no aftermarket parts here.

My question is; should I go for 103 stage 2 kit or keep it 96 & change the heads & cams instead??

I was thinking of SE Pro MCR performance Heads & maybe the SE 204 cams.

All ideas & opinions are welcome.
Even in Dubai, it would be cheaper for you to send your heads over the the US to get your stock heads done professionally. Try http://www.deweysheads.com You will get a better performing head and they will match it up correctly to the cam you chose.

The SE 204 is a good punchy running cam, doing that cam with the 103" cylinders and pistons and having a place like Deweys do your heads to to work with the compression/cam combo will get you a fun, strong running bike. Better performance and it will cost less than outright purchasing a set of MCR heads.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Rebel78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDWRENCH
The MCR heads are a very small chamber ( 76-80 CC) so your compression even with a flat top piston is going to too much for a small cam. Why not add a woods tw6-6 go to a 103 kit ( tq will increase greatly with the bump in CI) and have a street port done. Total parts you would be in the 1200 range. Sending part to where you live is something is done from here on a regular basis. But if you have to stay with SE only why not use the MCR head, a cam that will give the power in the rpm range you are looking at. The 257 at 10.5-10.8 will get with the program and then some in a 103 kit.

Big bore kit with cam gaskets, push rods, covers you are less than 1000 and that would be using a forged piston.

As for the MCR head they are nothing more than a relabled performer head. They are very nice head the only issue is that they still need to be blue printed, and the chambers are small. With some work we have opened them up enough ( keeping the bathtub chamber as is) to keep compression at a decent level with a bolt in style cam. Tq is where it is at, for normal street use.
We have only high octane fuel here, 95 or 98 so I think I can go up to 11:1 compression with no problems. What kind of power should I expect from heads & cams? Any numbers?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by Rebel78
We have only high octane fuel here, 95 or 98 so I think I can go up to 11:1 compression with no problems. What kind of power should I expect from heads & cams? Any numbers?
Mechanical compression(static compression) isn't what you need to worry about, RUNNING(dynamic) compression is. And for an accurate assesment on that you need to have you cam choice made. If you have acess to 95/98 octane gas one thing I can tell you is that your optimum cranking cylinder compression should be arounds 170-190psi for a good performance street build. For folks here in the US on 91/93 octange gas ccp should be around 160-180psi. Anything above that and you hurt performance as your most likely going to run into detonation and retarding the ignition timing.

Last edited by NTrat; 12-17-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:18 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

what type of numbers are you looking for?????
that will determin if the heads you want are up to the job of producing the power and not ping....
a set or Baisley heads super stock and a 6 cam with going to a 103 will give you approx 110 tq possibley more. depending on compression
bigger cam more compression
keep the compressioon about 10.0 with that heat compression releases also just incase.

at 11.1 compression out of a good 103 built right and tuned properly you are looking at 118 ttq. possibley more depending on the build character.
so what would you like.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your fuel may be rated at a higher octane number. i had a table for that but it is more like 93-94 for what we use. So you are still on running a premium.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:14 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Here is my thoughts SE 103+ heads and SE 103+ pistons SE 258
cams and adjustable pushrods. You already have the air breather
so now you need open exhaust and a sert and go ahead and pick
some extra back tires you will probley need them.........kev

Quick Reply: More power from 96 motors