Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Thinner Head Gasket add anything for BB 103

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
ozzyg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinner Head Gasket add anything for BB 103

I have a 08 EG. I am going to have the dealer do the stage II BB 103 kit next month. I want to use the 255 cam. I ride alot with the wife so want low end torque.
He recommends putting in a thinner head gasket during the build. Will this help with torque, HP, or do anything at all?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The head gasket will bump the C/R a little, not more than a 1/2 point I'd imagine. Are you putting in the forged pistons with the valve reliefs cut into them? I ask, because someone posted that the cast flat tops don't have reliefs. With the thinner gasket and higher lift cam, there's a small possibility of a clearance problem. But, that's up to the dealer to figure out!

The C/R should help the cam make a bit more power and toque than if the C/R remained stock. Not much, 5 or less on each I'd suspect.

You know, while you're there, and the heads are off, why don't you send them out and get them ported. That's a pretty big hang up on these bikes anyway.

But, as long as you're happy, who cares what anyone else thinks! Good luck!

Mike

Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Tell them to use Cometic .030 gaskets. They keep the squish tight and help keep the ping demons away and tune better many times. The dealer should check all clearances on install if they know what they are doing.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:09 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
Tell them to use Cometic .030 gaskets. They keep the squish tight and help keep the ping demons away and tune better many times. The dealer should check all clearances on install if they know what they are doing.
+1 get the squish right

Old 02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
ozzyg
Intermediate

The dealer says he has done the thinner gasket on the set up I am thinking of getting but they have used the 251 cams. The kit comes with BB flat top pistons ( not sure about forged or not ). I am just trying to maximise low end torque and as long as the heads have to come off the dealer says it is a little extra bonus with putting it back together using the thinner gasket

The other reason why I am asking the question is that I don't want to stress the engine by using the thinner gasket. But I suppose going 103 is adding stress or shortening the life a little any way huh? or maybe not??

thanks for the replies. If any more info on this point keep em coming, I am all ears .

Jim

Old 02-08-2009, 03:30 PM
gearman
Advanced

You may not want to use the thinner gasket with the 255 cam, the intake closing is at 25 deg. Your cranking comp. will be pretty high. If you do go with the thinner gask. you better add comp. releases. I have the stage II in my 08 Road King with the 255 cam, great cam for my style of riding. I do notice a difference in the cranking when the bike is warmed up(cranks a little harder). Just borderline from needing comp. releases.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM
ozzyg
Intermediate

Trannymann

would you recommend compression releases on the Stage II BB 103 with 255 cams? Makes sence to be carefull withthe thinner gasket maybe I should just stay withthe stock gasket then.

thansk for the heads up

Old 02-08-2009, 03:59 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You need the squish to be right to get the tune right and no ping. They will need to measure the installed piston height and use the apropriate gasket for .030-.035 squish. They are all over the place from the factory (up to .050) which creates tuning problems and pinging. Mike

Old 02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
gearman
Advanced

ozzyg

if you stay with the head gasket in the kit you should be good, there was alot of posting on this hard start subject, if you do a search you will find it. I have the TTS Mastertune with my bike( I highly recommend it) if your going to put some type of fuel management. It gives you alot of adjustability. Seems like most of the guys that had the real hard cranking bikes had the factory download, while the guys with the tuners had better luck.

There are better cams out there, but this cam suites me fine. I usually load up with a detachable tour pack and the wife., so we are pulling a good load when we go on trips. the bike pulls like a freight train down low right off idle and then tapers off about 4500 rpm. If you do alot of touring youll like it.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
mps1168
Tourer

Originally Posted by trannyman
ozzyg

if you stay with the head gasket in the kit you should be good, there was alot of posting on this hard start subject, if you do a search you will find it. I have the TTS Mastertune with my bike( I highly recommend it) if your going to put some type of fuel management. It gives you alot of adjustability. Seems like most of the guys that had the real hard cranking bikes had the factory download, while the guys with the tuners had better luck.

There are better cams out there, but this cam suites me fine. I usually load up with a detachable tour pack and the wife., so we are pulling a good load when we go on trips. the bike pulls like a freight train down low right off idle and then tapers off about 4500 rpm. If you do alot of touring youll like it.

TRANNYMAN:

Which cam are you running? Details of your set up if you dont mind..

Thanks

Quick Reply: Thinner Head Gasket add anything for BB 103