Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

05 Ultra Engine Noise/Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 PM
mbaumy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Ultra Engine Noise/Knock

I have an noise coming from my engine that almost sounds the same as when I spun a rod bearing on my 68 Plymouth 318, except that it only appears around 1900 and again at 2800 RPM. Otherwise the engine pulls and runs strong. The engine was updated at 11000 miles and no noise was present before the build. The build was as follows:

95 CU
SE HTCC Ported Heads w/Compression Release
SE HTCC Forged Pistons
SE 251 Cams
SE Lifters
SE Adjustable Pushrods
SE Race Tuner

I complained about the noise from day one and finally got my dealer to agree with me after 7000 miles last summer. Hear is what they've done.
Part 1-Took apart top end and found one pushrod and one rocker arm were badly worn. Also replaced Lifters back to stock (one was wearing bad). Put back together same noise.
Part 2-Pulled heads the check for broken valve springs, also checked valve guides and valve seats, all OK. Pulled cylinders and they didn't like the way the piston skirts and cylinder walls looked so they replaced pistons and re-bored cylinders. Put back together same noise.
Part 3-Harley Davidson regional service manager is called and he comes out to listen to it and asks for the specs from the machinist. No word yet.

So far my dealer has been taking care of things under my extended warranty but I expect the higher I push up the Harley ladder I will hit a brick wall. The only reason think I have gotten so far is my relationship with my dealer and that the entire build was HD parts.

Has anyone else had this type of problem? I have heard that forged pistons like things a little tighter in the cylinder and have asked for the specs also from the machine shop. What are people running for clearances with forged pistons?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
103Lee
Intermediate

Loose compensator nut?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They found a bad pushrod and bad lifter and bad rocker.

What about the cam?
Cam chain condition?
Crank pinion runout?
What kind of debri did they find?
Debri will be in the oil tank and filter. And the engine drain plug. They should know these things, surely.
When you find these things loose and, or bad, something is tearing apart.
Make sure everything is documented.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 PM
NCHarleyDavidson
Stage III
Default Knock

I have an 05 I picked up last year with 12000mi. It had a very slight knock, I did not think much of it. It is pretty apparent now and Spark knock came into play late in the summer. I thought I would leave it as is but I pulled it out last weekend, first in 4 months, and I can't take the noise. It's wrong. My 01 Fatboy runs like a Top. No knocks, pings or other wierd noises.

The Ultra is compleetly stock, or so I was told by previous owner. I bought it through a Dealer and declined the waranty. What an idiot. I made that decision based on the Fatboy running like a champ after 50k. Keep us posted on what you find. What you learn may guide me in the right direction. I am considering to start, installing adjustable Rods first to see if this clears up the issue. But if I pull the Rod's, it probably makes sense to install new lifter as well ?

Thanks for your Post.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spark knock? You sure enough have spark knock? Or an Engine knock.
Most of the time that's a tuning issue. Or a fuel issue. Or something is real hot. Check Plugs for starters.
A spark knock could also be something to do with the engine management. Almost always that is one of three things.
Sensors
ECM
Connections going into or out of the two above.
Engine check light? That would help pinpoint.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM
mbaumy
Stage III

Snow finally gone and warmer temps allowed me to take the bike out for a ride and I think the noise is even worse. The final word from my dealer is that the knocking noise is inherent to the parts that I put on. Don't think I'll be useing many SE parts in the future. I think that I will take to another dealer for a second opinion, if nothing can be found probably put back to stock and sell it.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think your best bet would be a knowledgable indy rather than the dealer. These engines are not rocket science and anyone with good engine knowhow can find and fix problems like this. Sources of problems like yours always have markers if you know where to look. Seriously get an indy that knows.
Ron

Old 03-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What Ron said ! There are at times noises that are inherent to an engine and a particular build, a little lifter noise, comp rattle etc but these are not what are describing. I too have a concern that if they found a lifter, pushrod and rocker bad, there is something going on it there that isn't good.

Your dealer eveidently is at the end of the road as far as being willing to keep looking so I would also take it to an indepentdent shop and let them look at it.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default noise ???

I went through a very similar noise chase, I changed everything in the top end and it made no difference. Then the last time that I had it apart I decided to replace the cam assy as one of the bearings was a little bit sloppy and I was getting tired of pulling this motor down and putting it back togeather. And that cured the noise finally for me. This was on an 04 EGC I'm not saying that this is a cure-all but it is worth looking into. G@@D LUCK ! ! !