Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Cam Chain Tensioner kit - HD or Andrews??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:43 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cam Chain Tensioner kit - HD or Andrews??

Hey Gang,

I need some advice on new cams and the new cam chain tensioner systems from HD and Andrews for an 04 Fat Boy (TC88, 95ci, 251 cams, SE lifters, heavy duty valve springs, adj push-rods, SE ICM).

My SE lifters seized and destroyed my cams. I am considering installing HD's new hydraulic cam chain tensioner kit (part no. 25284-08) -OR- the Andrews Hydraulic Roller Chain Conversion kit with new cams. As for cams, I am considering Andrews' 54N or 55N grinds.

I spoke with an Andrews rep. He said Andrew's new roller chain cam tension conversion kit contains the 'exact' same parts that are now in all 2009 TC96 motors. The one exception is that the "inner" cam bores are .875 on the 'N-series' cams (outer bores are the 'current' larger spec) used in this kit to accomodate that bore size in the TC88 motos. He said if I order the corresponding HD cam parts, and oil pump for an '09 TC96, it is exactly the same as the Andrews conversion kit, and will work with the Andrews N-cams.

Andrews said that HD's hydraulic cam chain tensioner kit is really a 'hybrid' of the old and new HD systems. For example, the 'outer' cam bores (in the cam plate) of the HD kit are smaller like the TC88. By contrast, the cam plate in the Andrews kit has the larger cam bores of a '09 TC96 motor. The N-cams for TC88s are designed accordingly...smaller inner bores...larger outer bore.

With regards to cam grinds, Andrews recommended the 54N over the 55N for my motor. He said I'll get a little more high-end pull and less low-end pull from the 55N (2600-6200 RPM) vs. the 54N cam (2200-5600).

Can anyone confirm that the corresponding Harley cam parts and oil pump for a '09 TC96 motor are the same as the Andrew's roller chain conversion kit?

Is there any problem with either Andres cam above for my bike?

Where can I get the best pricing on Andrew's cams? Zanotti??

Any and all advice much appreciated...
Regards

Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 07 up cam plate have no outer cam bearings. The cams ride directly on the cam plate. or we can use a technical term, (parent material). I personally will be upgrading my SE with the 25284-08 kit only to keep my cam options wider for future mods. As for the cams, The 55 is going to run just about like the 251 you had in there. And the 54 will have a little more bottom end. Some questions or clarifications, Comp ratio and did you have the heads worked when the springs were replaced?

Old 07-14-2009, 08:58 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roller Chain Conversion after 35k- a report

Go with the Andrews. Why pay for an expensive custom cam plate when the stock Harley 07 plate works fine and you eliminate bearings so there none of that mess to fool with. Here's the outer cam tensioner shoe on my 05 Road King after two years and 32,000 miles. Just checked it yesterday. Absolutely no wear. The roller chain system is good for 100,000 miles Andrews 21n cams are great for general riding and reliability.

Attached Thumbnails Cam Chain Tensioner kit - HD or Andrews??-roller_chain-2.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
heavypic
Tourer

FXST...My compression ratio is 10.1 to 1 if I recall correctly. I used the Harley 95ci, high-compression cast pistons when the bike was modded at the end of '03 (04 Fat Boy). I haven't had the heads ported. My new indy asked about porting and if my heavier valve springs were shimmed correctly for my cam. I told him I did know. I was planning to have him do the porting and check the springs this winter. Also, you mention your going to use the HD 25284-08 kit (instead of the Andrew's kit)....I didn't think about the possibility of future cam changes. I guess the HD 25284-08 kit with the smaller outer cam bores is a wiser choice (vs the Andrews kit) if you want more cam options.

RBJones....Please clarify what you mean when you say "Go with the Andrews"...and then say "Why pay for an expensive custom cam plate when the stock Harley 07 plate works fine and you eliminate bearings". Did you use the HD 25284-08 kit (for '06 and earlier bikes), or did you use HD's current cam tensioner system and new oil pump from 07 and later bikes? Andrews recommended the latter but my indy is telling me he doesn't think the oil passages in the current (07 and later) HD cam plate will mate with my '04 TC88. He is recommending the HD 25284-08 kit for my bike. Please clarify.

Thanks guys
Regards

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Hey all,

I got a recommendation to go with Andrews, Herko or the corresponding '09 HD parts for the cam tensioner and oil pump. I was told to avoid the HD conversion 'hybrid' Part No. 25284-08 kit, because it uses the older style 'Morse' chain on the inboard side (from cam to cam)...the type of chain suspected of wearing the tensioner shoes. The Andrews system and others use the roller chain for both inboard and outboard chains.

Thanks all...
Regards

Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a thought why not go with a new stock plate and gear drive....
if you are worried about the chain......
also a better cam then the 251 is a woods tw6h. or tw5.
the 5 is a lower lift then the 6.
i ran the 251 cam in a HTCC CNC 95 in motor.
the andrews 67g would be a closer match to the 251 cam.

you dont want more top end you want it in the lower rpm and mid range.

the woods tw6 with a 2* advance key was recomendeed to me by Doc and GROCK yrs ago as a far superior set up then the 251 cam.
also a set of 337 gearing will rock that bike