Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

I can't decide on pipes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 PM
GToakSnob
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can't decide on pipes!

Ok guys. since I'm so new to the HD world I need some help with pipe selection. Well let me tell ya about my bike. its a 2009 Crossbones with some mild cams and a screamin eagle tuner. It had a V&H RSD tracker pipe, but I didnt like the looks so I sold it. It made 85 hp and 93 lb of Tq with the RSD.
I really love the sound and look of the rinehart cross back pipes. But everyone tells me 2 into 1 makes more power. I hear some bad talk about rinehart. is that true? I also hear good things about thunderheader and D&D.
OK any advice will help
Thanks Guys!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

I read on here recently that Mr. Rinehart says the crossbacks make the same power as their 2 into 1 system. If I recall correctly, he had sent an email to Rinehart regarding the future of the company and got a response from the son of the owner.

For help choosing you need to define what your goal is. Loud? Max power? Looks? Combo of all 3? give us a hand here.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:00 PM
GToakSnob
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
I read on here recently that Mr. Rinehart says the crossbacks make the same power as their 2 into 1 system. If I recall correctly, he had sent an email to Rinehart regarding the future of the company and got a response from the son of the owner.

For help choosing you need to define what your goal is. Loud? Max power? Looks? Combo of all 3? give us a hand here.
Well I want a pipe that makes the best power with the best sound. Not the loudest but I wanna break 90 hp. If I can get a pipe that looks good, sounds good and makes great power I would be all about that!!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:17 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Replaced my V&Hines BSS 2n2 pipe with the xover power chamber a couple weeks ago with a 2n1. SOP clearly tells me that the 2n1 is a much better performer. Lots of discussions about which 2n1 is best. imo - To say one is better than another is not always true or that simple. Depending on the build, which baffle is installed, if the pipe is tuneable... will effect how it performs on a bike. Also, retuning your bike with the 2n1 should also provide gains.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer

D&D for me. My previous bike had 103SE with 255 cams, D&D Fat Cat with standard baffle. It sounded good and improved the power. My new bike with the 110SE and D&D Boss Fat Cats and big bore baffle had the sound and performance I was looking for. It does take the 110SE to make this pipe combo work the best. But as with many things when you here other pipes you wonder if yours sound that good also. With these I don’t wonder anymore. link to installed pipes pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/2472867...7622719390400/

Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a hard time picking pipes for my Bones but finally decided to go form over function, the Samson have a great sound and old school look and do add some horsepower with a stage one. Power only there are some that are better.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out RB Racing 2 into 1. I have three sets on three different bikes. I think they are great pipes. Everyone has their own opinion on their point of reference. If someone bought V&H and they liked them and had good luck with them then they will recommend them. This goes for any brand of pipe. My only point of reference is RB Racing pipes and that is why I recommend them over any of the other pipes. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up buying and ride safe out there!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYCLIMBER
My new bike with the 110SE and D&D Boss Fat Cats and big bore baffle had the sound and performance I was looking for. It does take the 110SE to make this pipe combo work the best.
I bet you'd have more punch on the bottom end if you would have stuck with the STD baffle. Stock SE110 is pretty anemic straight from the Moco, needs compression, good cam and some head work to really perk it up.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:16 PM
rob71458
Cruiser

Originally Posted by msocko3
I bet you'd have more punch on the bottom end if you would have stuck with the STD baffle. Stock SE110 is pretty anemic straight from the Moco, needs compression, good cam and some head work to really perk it up.
Good advice. I own a SERK and only went to the big bore after head work etc.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The sound of a two into one destroys the true Harley pulse, so that wasn't even a consideration for me.
My Crossbacks made a very noticable power difference over my old V&H Big Radius. Not to mention, they look and sound MEAN as hell...

Last edited by George C; 11-07-2009 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: I can't decide on pipes!