Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Billet Cam Plate / Pump Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Billet Cam Plate / Pump Conversion

I was told I put this in wrong thread to get help so here it goes. Thanks guys and gals....

HELP!!!! All the above is my current problem except......I did the big bore kit ( missing numerous parts in every SE kit! ) , w/ 203 cams, new B-148's, the new update on the cam plate w/ hydraulic tensioners and high flow oil pump etc.... fire her up and NO OIL PRESSURE! After many test per the shop manual discover that I have a bad sending unit. Bought new one and installed..............it was faulty. Bought another one..........it too was faulty. Third time was charm, now have a good sending unit and oil pressure gauge shows what some would call oil pressure ( not what I would expect from new high flow rig ). take scoot for a spin and as ride progresses oil pressure falls off until idiot light starts coming on when at idle at stop signs etc... I did reset cold and hot idles during build, I did rotate rear wheel in 5th gear while setting oil pump. Here is what I am tripping over at this point, in the new updated cam plate kit the paperwork stated that a "oil control screw" (part # blahh, blahh blahh,) "not included in kit" was needed and to "follow the instructions in the oil control kit explicitly". After traveling far and wide to get this "oil control kit" ( which is nothing but an over priced screw ) , the paper work in the said kit stated via verbiage and pictures that my engine type "A" did NOT need the kit. Two days I will not get back. Anyway, now that I have an oil pressure issue I can't help but wonder if my half breed Alpha engine ( big "A" painted on inside of cam chest from factory) that had a big "B" painted on the old cam plate, was some how in some sort of incestual way supposed to have this "oil control screw" inserted in some unknown and undisclosed hole. The new billet cam plate only resembles the old cam plate in outer shape, after that they appear nothing alike. The one positive in this build was the Power Commander i bought from Jamie at Fuel Moto, it was truly plug and play and the kit was COMPLETE! Thanks Jamie! Anyone have any experience with this little "Oil Control" bugger? OK people HELP!!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Need model year of bike and cam plate PNs.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I'd check to see if you possibly messed up one of the o-rings in the oil feed holes or if something went awry with the installation of the high flow oil pump. The instructions for the upgrade kit specifically state that you need that oil control kit for 99 Dynas and tourers so your 99 Ultra would need it.

Last edited by dawg; 12-02-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Yup, you are correct Dawg! After talking with a Harley Tech I find out the even though the instructions that come with the oil control kit say that my block ( type A ) does not need the kit..............it in fact does need it. So.............I pulled her back apart yesterday and put that little guy in there. :-) Found that the pump was also missing a wave washer also, tech spotted that right away. Tonight I put oil back in her and see what happens!