Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC88 Chain tensioner???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Cityfyrman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC88 Chain tensioner???

Hey guys I was wondering about my chain tensioners. I have been reading alot of threads about the chain tensioners and I am going to check them this weekend. Unfortunately I am at work for a few days (a Fireman) and dont have my service guide in front of me. What exactly do I need to replace my tensioners? I would like to upgrade if need be but I will be doing all the work myself. I have a 2005 RK Custom with 15K. I have 2 long road trips planned in the coming months and I know 15K isn't alot of miles but I am pretty **** with my servicing and I figure If I inspect them I might as well change them out. Sorry if this is a repetitive question but none of the threads really answer if I can change just the tensioners. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,003 Likes on 1,731 Posts

If you are going back with the stock tensioners you will need to pull the cam plate and the cams out of the plate to change them. You should replace all the bearings (inner bearings and cam bearings). You need to decide whether or not you want to go through the rocker boxes and reuse the stock pushrods, or cut them and go back with EZ install adjustables. Money-wise I would go through the rocker boxes and use a cam service gasket kit for all the gaskets and bearings you need (I would use Timken B148's instead of the INA inner bearings provided in the kit though).

Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Cityfyrman
Cruiser

As always Dawg a great response. Definitely going to change out all bearings, o-rings and gaskets.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

At 15k I would not even look at them. Recommended inspection is at ~30k miles. If you want to though, just remove the exhaust and cam cover. Need a small mirror to inspect inner tensioner. Wont get into whats required to replace them as the chances are you wont need to

Old 01-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Cityfyrman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
At 15k I would not even look at them. Recommended inspection is at ~30k miles. If you want to though, just remove the exhaust and cam cover. Need a small mirror to inspect inner tensioner. Wont get into whats required to replace them as the chances are you wont need to
Well from what I have read there has been some tensioners fail with less than 15k. I know that's not the norm but just am a little sketchy before goin to Laughlin and Sturgis.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

We`ve seen major probs at 15,000 miles,as you can see this tensioner has almost no wear,but look at the pits,thats what dose the early damage,scoars the cam plate & oil pump.get a geardrive!with the tesioners,its not a matter of if,but when they will fail,syn. Oil dosnt help.their junk,a bad design,get them out of there!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Cityfyrman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
We`ve seen major probs at 15,000 miles,as you can see this tensioner has almost no wear,but look at the pits,thats what dose the early damage,scoars the cam plate & oil pump.get a geardrive!with the tesioners,its not a matter of if,but when they will fail,syn. Oil dosnt help.their junk,a bad design,get them out of there!
Thanks Prodrag. I am looking into alternative tensioners. Not sure about going the geardrive route. Still going to mull over my options. I am a pretty decent garage wrench but going geardrive might seem a little too much for me.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Cityfyrman
Cruiser

I have been wondering why the MOCO hasn't at least changed the material on the tensioners or maybe the design after they knew of the defect. I know they changed the design in 2007. I am also very surprised this wasn't a HD recall at the massive and possible catastrophic possibility coming from this failure. I have been asking myself what if total failure when trying to pass let's say a semi tractor trailer and you have total loss of power. I have read there was a class action lawsuit against the MOCO in regards to the tensioner/bearing problem. Wonder what happened with that deal.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cityfyrman
Well from what I have read there has been some tensioners fail with less than 15k. I know that's not the norm but just am a little sketchy before goin to Laughlin and Sturgis.
Like I said, check them then get back to us... Although it sounds like you made up your mind to replace them...

Old 01-24-2010, 01:25 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,003 Likes on 1,731 Posts

To update my post, now that HD sells the new SE inner bearings as of today and they are the torrington/timken B148's you can get those as they are right in line with pricing elsewhere.

Quick Reply: TC88 Chain tensioner???