Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Timing marks for 96' EVO

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Bullys FLSTN
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing marks for 96' EVO

Looking for a little input here please. Am installing a cam in my my 96' and have run into an odd situation. According to my manual the timing marks for the cam, idler gear, and breather should all line up to thier marks. When these marks are all aligined and you look in the timing hole, the top dead center mark is not in view. If i roll the crank to show the line for top dead center in the view hole the piston is at top but then the timing marks are not aligned. The mark for the idler gear is about a quarter turn off. Is this right or am i missing something here? My manual shows the timing marks aligned and it also shows the timing mark for top dead center but does not give reference to both. Any input would be appreiciated.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Kingofcubes
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't believe there is a reference to both.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Bullys FLSTN
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When all three timing marks are aligned is the front piston at top dead center or not?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 AM
lonestar17
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Bullys FLSTN
Looking for a little input here please. Am installing a cam in my my 96' and have run into an odd situation. According to my manual the timing marks for the cam, idler gear, and breather should all line up to thier marks. When these marks are all aligined and you look in the timing hole, the top dead center mark is not in view. If i roll the crank to show the line for top dead center in the view hole the piston is at top but then the timing marks are not aligned. The mark for the idler gear is about a quarter turn off. Is this right or am i missing something here? My manual shows the timing marks aligned and it also shows the timing mark for top dead center but does not give reference to both. Any input would be appreiciated.
have you tried aligning the first mark i.e when the engine is at tdc alignt the mark and the align all the others to this