Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage IV Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 AM
mongillo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stage IV Upgrade Questions

Hi Everyone,
I'm a new HOG owner and very glad that I bought a 2010 Fatboy Low. I'm also new to this Forum. I have a few questions I hope can get answered. I've gone ahead a had a Stage I done by the Dealer and I've did notice an improvement in overall performance but not the least bit mindboggling.

Here are my questions:

1. As I do not want to waste money in gradually going through different engine upgrade Stages, I am thinking of going directly to a Stage IV upgrade. I am comfortable with the much added power that this will bring and I've been reading different threads to gain more insight on this upgrade. My concern is looking into the future with this kind of upgrade as it is not covered by HD Warranty. Is there a danger that something will break down as a result of the Stage IV upgrade and I'll be screwed and therefore have to dole out more money to get it fixed. In other words, are there any known problems with doing a Stage IV upgrade? I want the power but am not too crazy about the added problems this may bring.

2. Do I have to change the exhaust system when doing a Stage IV? By what I have been reading in this Forum it sounds as if I do but I am concerned about the noise level when I have to start it up early in the morning.

That's it for now and thanks in advance for your answers.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to dump the scratch on a performance build, do yourself a favor and consult with the many sponsors of the forum. You will get more bang for your buck. Don't piece meal it, do it once... go big.... and be done with it.

Last edited by RottnRam; 07-15-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Just to be clear, when you say Stage IV, are you referrring to PN27516-08A as the package you are considering?

Yes, you will need to change the exhaust to optimize the performance and you willl need a fuel management system and dyno tune for the same reason.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:52 PM
mongillo
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure of what the PN# is as a parts guy at the dealer I bought the bike from told me of it, Stage IV 103 upgrade, and that many were happy with it. Can anyone suggest high end quality exhaust without them being too loud?
Thanks very much!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

The head pipes are OK, you can get by with a good set of slipon mufflers like Rush or Cycle Shack. I haven't kept up with the later models but understand that some have cats in the head pipes, so my comment about retaining the head pipes may be off base; kill the cat if you have one. There are several 2:1 systems as well. Loud is too subjective to discuss; what is loud to one is not loud to another. Almost any exhaust is tolerable as long as you putt in and out of the neighborhood, your neighbors shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited by djl; 07-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM
mongillo
3rd Gear

ok great djl! I appreciate it.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres the deal.
If the Dealer does the job he- might- say he will cover the work. No other Dealer will.
Basicly the Warrenty is voided.

I'm not knocking this. I took my bike apart at 1000 miles and about 1 month after buying.
But I did all my own work except the heads. And pistons and rings fitted into the cylinders.

Depending on weather you do your own work or where you live or how good the Dealer is, His Technitions), is the question. This last is importand cause some Dealers take your bike into a black hole and who knows what from there. You can't even go back to visit.
There are some very good independant shops who do same type work for no more money and they will let you visit your bike if you want. And put together a parts package that will more that satisfy.

You can easily spend several K on this 4-5 K

Dealers will put in all HD parts. SE has some good stuff now so pick and chose.
There are better parts available, and some for less. Cams for instants

Consider all the options.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-14-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:07 AM
mongillo
3rd Gear

Ok OG, thanks for the advice. They did say that the cost would be in the $5K range as well. When I decide to go for it, I'll ask that only their best mechanic do the work and ask for some level of guarantee from the Dealer. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Not to be a wise guy, but if your looking for big, broad, power, picking a kit outa' a Squealin' Seagull catalog ain't the way to insure your happiness.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 AM
MATTYB185
Advanced

I am thinking about doing the stage IV 103 kit for my 2010 FXDC because I want more power and its not going to void the warranty if the dealer installs it. Harley claims 111 Hp so I figure it is really about 100hp. I already have a Thunderheader,SE heavy breather kit and the power commander with a Dyno result of 75HP and 91TQ. I hope that puts me in the 110Hp and TQ range. I am going to have New Roc harley in new york do it this winter for me when they have the sale specials. If anyone has any tips for me on this build please give me a heads up.

Quick Reply: Stage IV Upgrade Questions