Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Just ordered Axtell 107 kit!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,113 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote
I have 4 cases of yeungling in my fridge right now. I buy it in Pennsylvania, but it will be available in Ohio starting October 3rd.

Dyno scheduled for Friday.
Yuengling is not available west of the Mississippi that I know of. I visit Virginia regularly and bring back some on occasssion but Shiner Bock is my standard. I will dring a Corona in a pinch but only in the summer time; it's a second rate beer, even by Mexican standards but I do find it refreshing "dressed" with lime and salt in the summer.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, my tuner, and the tuner from my local HD dealer got together and did everything they know to do. The max HP came in at 104.6, and the torque showed 135, but he said it is spiking, possibly due to the back wheel being a little out of true. He said realistically 110 torque. He said there is nothing more he can do for it. The guy from HD said no way is it ever going to come close to axtell's numbers.

They both also believe there is a slight bottom end "knock". I don't know how that could be, as it is a Darkhorse crank, with new rods. I didn't here any noise that scared me, but I don't know.

Disapointing to say the least, but it is what it is I guess.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by dwyleecoyote
Well, my tuner, and the tuner from my local HD dealer got together and did everything they know to do. The max HP came in at 104.6, and the torque showed 135, but he said it is spiking, possibly due to the back wheel being a little out of true. He said realistically 110 torque. He said there is nothing more he can do for it. The guy from HD said no way is it ever going to come close to axtell's numbers.

They both also believe there is a slight bottom end "knock". I don't know how that could be, as it is a Darkhorse crank, with new rods. I didn't here any noise that scared me, but I don't know.

Disapointing to say the least, but it is what it is I guess.
Sorry to hear of the disappointing results; it's a shame that spending what you spent doesn't produce at least close to the claimed results. Welcome to the ever increasing group of dissatisfied Axtell customers.

If the crank was worked over by Darkhorse, particulalry with new rods, I woudln't be too concerned about a bottom end knock but I would keep an ear out for piston slap. That has been the bane of many Axtell kit users. The cylinders don't retain a true bore once heated up and cooled. Maybe not your problem but has certainly been the experience of several that I know of.

Have you discussed the disappointing results with Ron? Please keep us posted.

Last edited by djl; 09-26-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

Dyno sheet. I notice his smoothing is set on 0, I think before it was set on 5. I don't know what that means, just an observation.

Attached Thumbnails Just ordered Axtell 107 kit!-imag0932.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
matt816
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is still not right. I can't remember what heads you have, what are they? A/F ratio looks good, I'm alittle concerned with the torque spiking. I'd be looking for a different tuner, might be worth a road trip to someone more skilled. Im sure it runs great, and 100/100+ is nice, but no matter what you should at least be at 107hp, at least!! Any idea what the clutch is doing, whats you setup? I would not be satisfied with these results at all. I know numbers aren't everything, tune matters most, but it's still missing.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 AM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

Originally Posted by matt816
Something is still not right. I can't remember what heads you have, what are they? A/F ratio looks good, I'm alittle concerned with the torque spiking. I'd be looking for a different tuner, might be worth a road trip to someone more skilled. Im sure it runs great, and 100/100+ is nice, but no matter what you should at least be at 107hp, at least!! Any idea what the clutch is doing, whats you setup? I would not be satisfied with these results at all. I know numbers aren't everything, tune matters most, but it's still missing.
Matt, it is going to another shop very soon. Just have to find the time to get it there. The clutch has a Tamachi VPC on it, I forget which one I went with, but I believe it is holding. My original builder is willing to check things out, but I just don't see any solutions coming from anybody around here. I believe the tuner did what he could, and only charged me $250 although he had a lot more time in it then that. The bike does feel nice, and I do like riding it, but season is almost over anyway, so what's a little more downtime?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:32 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

It's easy to get caught up in the chase for big numbers, so the most important thing to keep in mind is that a dyno is primarily a tool for tuning and diagnostics.

The dyno operator has complete control over is the "smoothing" factor. This allows the operator to show more or less detail in the lines on the graph. A Dynojet 250i has a smoothing scale from 0 to 5, with 0 showing the most detail; your tuners dyno may not have had a smoothing scale. More detail generally produces higher output as the lines on the graph will show small spikes. If the bike is tuned well, there will be a smaller difference between 0 and 5 smoothing.

The spiking occurred in the higher rpm range where the VPC is most efective; the clutch is holding.

I am curious about youre heads too. I went back and reviewed the previous posts and can't find what heads you are running.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM
dwyleecoyote
Cruiser

I do consider the dyno to be a diagnostic tool, and that tool is telling me something is still not right.

The heads are screamin eagle, axtell told me they re-work them in house. 2 inch in, 1.65 out, 89 cc.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
NCTURBOS
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the CCP and is it the same for both cylinders?

K.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by NCTURBOS
What's the CCP and is it the same for both cylinders? K.
Previously posted; 210psi, both cylnders; compression is not the problem.

Quick Reply: Just ordered Axtell 107 kit!