Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Woods new 555 cam install - can I retain stock pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:08 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Woods new 555 cam install - can I retain stock pushrods?

I'm looking at installing the Woods new 555 cam in my 2010 FL Softail.... can I retain stock pushrods, or do I have to go to to adjustables??

Thanks

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Bob Woods recomends se adjustables. Base circle is slightly smaller than stock. I have heard some guys running stock pushrods though.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Were the heads decked? What is the head gasket thickness? What is the difference in the base circle of the replaced cam and the TW555?

You have to do the math:

Heads decked = -.030"
Head gasketd delta = -.010"
Base circle delta = +.020"

The above WAGs would tell you that the correct pushrod length should be -.020", or shorter than stock; in other words the stock pushrod would be .020" too long. This would mean that the stock pushrod would sit about .120" into the lifter and leave about .080" of lifter travel and would work fine. Better for the stock pushrod to be a little too long than too short; if too short, go to adjustables.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
Were the heads decked? What is the head gasket thickness? What is the difference in the base circle of the replaced cam and the TW555?

You have to do the math:

Heads decked = -.030"
Head gasketd delta = -.010"
Base circle delta = +.020"

The above WAGs would tell you that the correct pushrod length should be -.020", or shorter than stock; in other words the stock pushrod would be .020" too long. This would mean that the stock pushrod would sit about .120" into the lifter and leave about .080" of lifter travel and would work fine. Better for the stock pushrod to be a little too long than too short; if too short, go to adjustables.
Thanks..... the heads are stock.

Sounds like adjustables are the way to go. I was hoping to retain stock pushrods. Oh well.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Maybe not. The figures I used were rectal extractions for illustrative purposes. If heads have not been milled; that means you only have to deal with the head gasket thickness. If you are not pulling the heads, that means the only factor is the difference in cam base circles.

We know the 555 base circle is smaller but need to know how much. It is probably at least .020" smalller. Using the radius of .010", that would mean the stock pushrod length would be .010" too short.

So, you could use the stock pushrods and see if the valve train is noisy and if not; it's all good. If the valve train is noisy, you will have to buy pushrods; adjustables for $165 or +30 perfect fits for $120.

Of course, you have to find out the difference in cam base circles to do the math. If you just don't want to be bothered with the math; adjustables is the sasy answer.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by djl
Maybe not. The figures I used were rectal extractions for illustrative purposes. If heads have not been milled; that means you only have to deal with the head gasket thickness. If you are not pulling the heads, that means the only factor is the difference in cam base circles.

We know the 555 base circle is smaller but need to know how much. It is probably at least .020" smalller. Using the radius of .010", that would mean the stock pushrod length would be .010" too short.

So, you could use the stock pushrods and see if the valve train is noisy and if not; it's all good. If the valve train is noisy, you will have to buy pushrods; adjustables for $165 or +30 perfect fits for $120.

Of course, you have to find out the difference in cam base circles to do the math. If you just don't want to be bothered with the math; adjustables is the sasy answer.
Which would be better - perfect fits or adjustables?

I think I might go with adjustables, that way if I go to 106"/107" later I don't have to buy pushrods again.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We use S&S adjustables here.
With the adjustable pushrod, you can load the lifter .140-.150".
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Which would be better - perfect fits or adjustables?

I think I might go with adjustables, that way if I go to 106"/107" later I don't have to buy pushrods again.
You can't go wrong with adjustables but displacement doesn't determine pushrod length.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:34 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
We use S&S adjustables here.
With the adjustable pushrod, you can load the lifter .140-.150".
Scott
Thanks Scott.... excuse the ignorance, but why would you want to load the lifter? and what does that mean?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
fat15th
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to know that myself

Quick Reply: Woods new 555 cam install - can I retain stock pushrods?