Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

98 build before and after dynos

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior
Received 1,807 Likes on 627 Posts
Default 98 build before and after dynos

Had my bike up to Hillside last year and Scott did a 98" build for me as shown in 1st dyno. Told me then I should have went for larger tb and fatcat I passed on it but was very happy with build.I know a different cam would have brought the torq to the left but I wanted that power further out because of the way I ride
Well after a summer riding felt the torque wasn't quite there off the get and was kind deaf in my right ear so I decided to take his advice and finish the job.So Scott matched the ports in the heads with the new intake and up to Joes it went to be tuned. Anyway here are a couple dynos showing the difference a fatcat / hpi55 and larger intake made and some of Scott's touchups on his stg 3 heads

At 3k rpm there is almost 25 more tq.This is a real joy to ride very mannerly but when you twist it be prepared its a beast.

Very happy once again I think I have reached my limit in search of power at least for my riding ability.

Attached Thumbnails 98 build before and after dynos-dsc01203.jpg   98 build before and after dynos-dsc01202.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really nice torque curve after the re-work, TB and fatcats. I’m in the middle of a 95”, 26N and Baisley Super stock heads build and am concerned I’m going to have the reversion dip you show in your first dyno graph due to my pipes. I’m currently running Rinehart 2-2 flush cuts right now. Even though I love the look and the sound of these pipes, I’m concerned I’m gonna have a reversion dip. I just haven’t convinced myself yet to drop another $600 on a set of 2-1 pipes. But then I keep telling myself I’ve saved some serious coin doing the work myself, buying the parts at 20% discount and having Baisley bore my existing jugs and doing the head work.

I’ve never seen a dyno graph of someone running Rinehart 2-2 flush cuts, but I’d say your dyno graph with the VH Short Shots is probably indicative of what I’m going to see with my Rineharts.

This performance motor work is a serious money sink addition.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
Had my bike up to Hillside last year and Scott did a 98" build for me as shown in 1st dyno. Told me then I should have went for larger tb and fatcat I passed on it but was very happy with build.I know a different cam would have brought the torq to the left but I wanted that power further out because of the way I ride
Well after a summer riding felt the torque wasn't quite there off the get and was kind deaf in my right ear so I decided to take his advice and finish the job.So Scott matched the ports in the heads with the new intake and up to Joes it went to be tuned. Anyway here are a couple dynos showing the difference a fatcat / hpi55 and larger intake made and some of Scott's touchups on his stg 3 heads

At 3k rpm there is almost 25 more tq.This is a real joy to ride very mannerly but when you twist it be prepared its a beast.

Very happy once again I think I have reached my limit in search of power at least for my riding ability.
Joe,
Looks like Joe, @ www.joescyclerepair.com, certainly laid a great tune on that!!
We knew it was going to be a home run when we looked at it on our Dynojet 150.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by priceamp
Really nice torque curve after the re-work, TB and fatcats. I’m in the middle of a 95”, 26N and Baisley Super stock heads build and am concerned I’m going to have the reversion dip you show in your first dyno graph due to my pipes. I’m currently running Rinehart 2-2 flush cuts right now. Even though I love the look and the sound of these pipes, I’m concerned I’m gonna have a reversion dip. I just haven’t convinced myself yet to drop another $600 on a set of 2-1 pipes. But then I keep telling myself I’ve saved some serious coin doing the work myself, buying the parts at 20% discount and having Baisley bore my existing jugs and doing the head work.

I’ve never seen a dyno graph of someone running Rinehart 2-2 flush cuts, but I’d say your dyno graph with the VH Short Shots is probably indicative of what I’m going to see with my Rineharts.

This performance motor work is a serious money sink addition.
Yeah I know what you mean about the money,I wish I would have done the tb and pipes the first go round.I had the same reservations about the pipes I loved the look and sound on the V & H BSS and they are a great hi horsepower pipe but as for low end torq its a killer. I couldn't bring myself to buy a 2-1

Joe did all he could on the first dyno he actually put long shots on and they did no better.He told me as well as Scott there was a lot left on the table with the build but it wouldn't be exposed with those pipes.But I kept the V&h anyway
The heads could flow much more than the pipes allowed and by switching them I was able to go up in tb size to the 55 hpi. Just wanted to show on basically the same engine what a difference can be had when the all the parts are working together.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Joe,
Looks like Joe, @ www.joescyclerepair.com, certainly laid a great tune on that!!
We knew it was going to be a home run when we looked at it on our Dynojet 150.
Scott
Scott,
Yeah when Joe faxed me the dyno sheet I almost fell off my chair.I didn't expect almost a 20hp increase along with 7 more tq all in the right areas.

Once again thanks to both you and Joe for a great job looking forward to much riding this summer should be a blast

Joe

Old 03-10-2011, 02:40 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread - thanks for sharing. If I could throw in something about 2-2 vs 2-1s here I hope it adds to the understanding.

I and a mate both have 08 RKC's. Mine was stock but he had a Thunderheader and canned map and it just walked away in roll on tests. Last summer I fitted (from Fuel Moto) V&H Dresser Duals with Jackpots and a Woods TW6-6 with PC V and the Fuel Moto canned map (neither bike has yet been dyno tuned - aiming for May to do mine). I knew my pipes were "inferior" performers compared to the Thunderheaders but the results of new top gear roll-ons surprised me. The result is that below 3500 I can just hold my mates bike but it's not until we get over 3500 that I can reel him in. So on this view a good 2-1 is worth a 2-2 and a mild cam until you start downshifting.

Clearly some dyno work will benefit my ride and it's still massively better than stock but still an interesting comparison I hope

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisinmann
Scott,
Yeah when Joe faxed me the dyno sheet I almost fell off my chair.I didn't expect almost a 20hp increase along with 7 more tq all in the right areas.

Once again thanks to both you and Joe for a great job looking forward to much riding this summer should be a blast

Joe
Knew of a good gain coming, but caught us off-guard a bit as well.
The wonderful thing, is also that your brothers bike, with the same build is a near carbon-copy of yours. hehe
Scott

Old 03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are amazing numbers man, my HQ 95" does 98hp with 107tq. An extra 36hp and an extra 13tq for only 3 cubic inch makes me wonder if I should have went with a 98"??

Attached Thumbnails 98 build before and after dynos-dyno-2.jpg  

Last edited by Crazy Canuck; 03-10-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Smug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, real nice. Joe tried real hard to convince me to give up my short shots, but I love the look and sound. So he worked his magic, he put some threaded rod with nuts in the pipes for a little more back pressure. My build is mild.
103"
204's
Zippers open element
V&H sss
pcIII
I have 98.8 hp. he was able to tune to over 100, but it gave up to much tq.
Tq. is 114.7 at 2 grand I have 100 ft.lbs. and I peak around 4400.
The numbers your turning out our fantastic. Enjoy

Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 AM
cruisinmann
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Those are amazing numbers man, my HQ 95" does 98hp with 107tq. An extra 36hp and an extra 13tq for only 3 cubic inch makes me wonder if I should have went with a 98"??
I think a lot more had to do with the head work that Scott did than the additional 3".But it all adds up,setting the engine up with all components complimenting each other is the key. As you can see in the dynos there also was big increase in changing pipe which allowed a bigger tb and the combo really let those heads breathe.

He did my brothers bike and the numbers are similiar. I wasn't a 2-1 fan but if you really want the most out of a build I think it shows its the way to go.

And hats off to Joe he knows how to find every bit of power there is

Quick Reply: 98 build before and after dynos