Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

What kind of power can a stock crank take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by traveler
Sounds like Russian Roulette.

If the crank runout causes the oil pump to let go, or if the Lefty crank bearing flexes too much and lets those ball bearings loose at 6,000 RPM! There is no lip on that bearing to hold those ***** in with thrust movement.

Better him then me.

~Joe
Come on Joe, they are plain roller bearings, not *****! The preferred replacements are tapered rollers.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good catch.

They are not caged, and thus will rip through that case like a hot knife through butter.

~Joe

Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesnt the Se or Stock bearing allow for scissoring? Maybe thats why they went with it.
Think about if you had a Timken that has no play and your crank scissors. That would put tramendous force on the cases.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 AM
N-gin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The INA bearing was designed in Germany. Germany INA bearings group was founded in 1883. They also founded the F A G bearing. Both in germany, same as were their pistons are made.
Coincedence?
Their revolution egine is a BMW design???

Old 03-22-2011, 07:39 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Good catch.

They are not caged, and thus will rip through that case like a hot knife through butter.

~Joe
HAHA! I TOLD you to view Brian's video with the idea that he IS selling something. Joe... he really IS selling, because you can see that you bit down on it hard.

After UNTOLD amount of crank failures... which surely is less that a tenth of a percent of bikes sold... There has NOT been one documented failure of an INA bearing in a 96; 103; 110 that I know about.

So... crank failures are really really rare... and Ina failures rarer yet.

Like I stated before... this IS something to NOT worry about unless it happens... which is slight indeed.

As a side note..... cages no longer run tapered bearing on front or rear axles... This DID take a couple of years to sort out but there really hasn't been many failures there... and the rollers stayed with the bearings. Ford makes more cars in a day than Harley makes bikes in a year kinda thing. The car companies went with SEALED Ina type bearings for fuel economy and NOT ease of installation (added bonus).

Last edited by wurk_truk; 03-22-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Goodonya Work Truk! While they were owned by Ford I went to an Engineering lecture by one of Jaguar's technical directors, shortly after they announced their new V8 engine. He described at length the many ways Jaguar had reduced parasitic losses in the engine (eg lighter valves require lighter springs, reduces power loss in the camshaft). The wheel bearings you mention are another example and Harley will be using the same approach on OUR behalf, to improve its products. The sooner we can shoot down this cheaper/worst Harley talk the better!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think a lot of this is because we are Motorcycle Riders who have been around awhile. I know I have.

As such we understand, and most remember, when you "really worried" about the bike and did all possible preventave maintance before starting out.

For us, part of this is working on the bike.
Worry, worry, work work.

I you didn't, you had problems, some bad.

So you are always thinking about this, even when things are good. Habit, I think Yes and a good one to get into.

Kinda like a airplane. Worry about it or take your chanches.

But this is better cause some new riders, on some bikes, think everything is so wonderful and nothing ever goes wrong.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:30 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
HAHA! I TOLD you to view Brian's video with the idea that he IS selling something. Joe... he really IS selling, because you can see that you bit down on it hard.

After UNTOLD amount of crank failures... which surely is less that a tenth of a percent of bikes sold... There has NOT been one documented failure of an INA bearing in a 96; 103; 110 that I know about.

Like I stated before... this IS something to NOT worry about unless it happens... which is slight indeed.
I agree with you 100%. I'm planing on taking the engine in my 06 and doing either a 113 or a 120 this next winter, I'm going to install the lefty bearing in favor of the timken. I figure the 120R is going to be a good litmus test since there are getting to be quite a few out and about now.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:08 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk

As a side note..... cages no longer run tapered bearing on front or rear axles... This DID take a couple of years to sort out but there really hasn't been many failures there... and the rollers stayed with the bearings. Ford makes more cars in a day than Harley makes bikes in a year kinda thing. The car companies went with SEALED Ina type bearings for fuel economy and NOT ease of installation (added bonus).
I am certainly NOT an expert ont he subject, and if crank bearing failures aren't happening, then I am GLAD I am wrong.

In all fairness, he stated that power in excess of 120 REAR wheel horsepower and torque is when a problem could occur.

If I build my engine for ME, then I will have a welded and trued forged crank, forged rods, and timken crank bearings, along with torrington cam bearings.

But that is just me.

again IF I was going to build my motor. I have a new, box stock 103, and the only change will be adding my XIEDS which will be here in a few days.

If I decide to do it, It will be with S&S guts in my stock VIN'd cases.

But, I am always open to learning more. Please continue to school me, knowledge is something I like to get.

~Joe

Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 AM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
Try real hard to sound smart, but the truth is you don't know shet about Harley's .Eventually everyone will figure you out and laugh as you write stupid crap..
In the meantime keep writing so it won't take so long for people to realize you're an Idiot..{I love my truk}