Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Stage upgrades & best bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:26 AM
apx07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage upgrades & best bang for buck?

Hi everyone. I'm soon to buy a 2012 ride - probably the FXDC. I want to put V&H Big shots on it, which I understand means that I need to do air filter, tune, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get information on the best upgrades that also explains the differences between options?

Any advice also appreciated.

Cheers,

Apx07

Old 06-26-2011, 06:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

SE air cleaner or another freeer flowing unit of your choice. You need to research tuners, many options but basically two ways downloaded maps from the system supplier or a system like TTS Mastertune that offer a self tune feature. TMax with Autotune is somewhere between the two. A very rough comparison but there are so many features that are unique to themselves, one really has to do some homework to decide which would work best for one's situation/configuration.

Cost is usually a consideration as well. Fuel Moto offers a fairly inexpensive PC unit and will load a map for your configuration. If that map doesn't suit you, they have many more. You could be all in for less than $300.

Of course, there is no substitute for a dyno tune and one of those system will run $600-$800, plus $300 for dyno time.

Then there are the "pot" type systems like the Techlusion TFI/DFO that are easy to install and you can tune yourself by adding fuel at different power points. If you don't plan on going beyond Stage I, this is a very cost effective way to go.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 PM
apx07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
SE air cleaner or another freeer flowing unit of your choice. You need to research tuners, many options but basically two ways downloaded maps from the system supplier or a system like TTS Mastertune that offer a self tune feature. TMax with Autotune is somewhere between the two. A very rough comparison but there are so many features that are unique to themselves, one really has to do some homework to decide which would work best for one's situation/configuration.

Cost is usually a consideration as well. Fuel Moto offers a fairly inexpensive PC unit and will load a map for your configuration. If that map doesn't suit you, they have many more. You could be all in for less than $300.

Of course, there is no substitute for a dyno tune and one of those system will run $600-$800, plus $300 for dyno time.

Then there are the "pot" type systems like the Techlusion TFI/DFO that are easy to install and you can tune yourself by adding fuel at different power points. If you don't plan on going beyond Stage I, this is a very cost effective way to go.
Thanks for the info djl. Lots of options out there....but i guess that's part of the fun of modding / upgrading !!

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

There is too much info out there! You have asked an open question that is difficult to give a good answer to. IMHO if you are doing this work to a new bike you should consider talking to your supplying dealer. As an example, there are several tuners available out there, but if your dealer is expert at one of those and not the others, it would be wise to go with what they know, if you want them to supply and fit.

On the other hand, when my wife bought her new SuperLow a few weeks ago, our dealer offered her a stage 1 package deal. Yours may do the same, if they haven't already offered it. Buying a new bike from them they should be keen to give you a good deal, I would think!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 PM
CaptainChris
2nd Gear

Alright, Folks, help me out here. I've got a 2011 Heritage with a dealer installed stage one. The exhaust system is stock except they switched out the stock mufflers for some slash downs....(me don't know nutin about any of this stuff). The air filter they installed was a small, high flow stock (I think "stock") filter. My question is...which K&N filter would work best with this set up to get more out-of-the hole throttle response and more low gear "jump" out of the bike. I'm a school teacher, so money is an obstacle. What is the "poor man's" way to get more performance out of a new Heritage? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainChris
Alright, Folks, help me out here. I've got a 2011 Heritage with a dealer installed stage one. The exhaust system is stock except they switched out the stock mufflers for some slash downs....(me don't know nutin about any of this stuff). The air filter they installed was a small, high flow stock (I think "stock") filter. My question is...which K&N filter would work best with this set up to get more out-of-the hole throttle response and more low gear "jump" out of the bike. I'm a school teacher, so money is an obstacle. What is the "poor man's" way to get more performance out of a new Heritage? Thanks.
Sounds like S/E slip-on mufflers, and an S/E air filter.
Good stuff for what you have.
The only other way to get more is to go inside the cam chest, and slide a set of Andrews 48's in.
LARGE gains off the bottom/mid in that engine.
Once that is done, have someone brush it off on a dyno, and you'll be a happy man.
Best gain/dollar spent, I can think of.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,509 Posts

+1 on Scott's recommendation. Just installed the 48 in a friends Stage I 2010 Fatboy and he is over the moon about the results. As Scott suggested, you will need to tune it on a dyno. My buddy tried Fuel Moto maps but never got it exactly right until it was dyno tuned; close but no cigar until tuned.