Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Never buy Vance and Hines again

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM
1SG_CFP
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never buy Vance and Hines again

I have Vance and Hines true duals less than 3 months old. I have a Vance and Hines Fuelpak on the bike less than 4 months, I have a set a Vance and Hines straight cuts on the bike less than one month.

The left straight cut blued in the first 1,000 miles. It seems that they had a problem with that happening and they've quit making them. But they're not telling anyone. And they're not making good when it happens.

My HD dealer wasn't told and didn't know. And they wouldn't work with him on it. He's going to help me with another set of pipes.... not Vance and Hines. He's ticked and says customers will know.

So I'll never buy another V&H product and suggest the rest of you might want to look harder elsewhere.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my V&H big radius! Best pipes I've had yet! No Problems here.... plus V&H has been around for a long time making great products. Thats dissapointing that they are not working with you on this problem.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Agree is disappointing they won't at least work with you for another set .. My V&H Straight Shots are at least 5 years old on my FXR4 and look like they were just Installed and Sound Great as well ..

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Chrome and/or finishes are NEVER covered under any warranty, but if you have a stock bike with their fuel pak set to the recommended value and no other items that could alter the A/F ratio, V&H should be working with you and your installing dealer for a solution.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
1SG_CFP
Advanced
Default Too Big to Admit

I suppose they sold a lot of them and don't want to open the floodgate of returns. I'm just one guy. But they're going to lose a lot of sales because the dealer wasn't treated well either. He's going to steer toward other brands based on his treatment.

And I promise, to tell everyone I can. I've been a big on Vance and Hines until they let me know my business is not valued.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM
1SG_CFP
Advanced
Default Correct.

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Chrome and/or finishes are NEVER covered under any warranty, but if you have a stock bike with their fuel pak set to the recommended value and no other items that could alter the A/F ratio, V&H should be working with you and your installing dealer for a solution.
All stock except for V&H true duals, Fuelpak, K&N filter. I simply replaced my V&H ovals because they were getting old and one had a rattle inside. The dealer tuned and checked out my bike the week before the ride. They have it now for a new tire and 5,000 mile service.

The only thing wrong with my bike is a pipe that blued in less than 1,000 miles. If it blued with 10,000 or 20,000 miles, I could buy it. But this fast means something is wrong with the pipe. And only one blued. My old ones didn't blue with 12,000 miles.

Last edited by 1SG_CFP; 07-21-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Ahks
Novice

I'd put money on there having been an issue with the pipe not being tightened down properly at the head or an exhaust gasket issue, which caused a leak and a lean condition for that cylinder, which blued the pipe

I'm not a betting man.

But I'd put money on that over their product being so far off that it would blue within 1000 miles with a proper tune.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Ahks
Novice

I'd put money on there having been an issue with the pipe not being tightened down properly at the head or an exhaust gasket issue, which caused a leak and a lean condition for that cylinder, which blued the pipe

I'm not a betting man.

But I'd put money on that over their product being so far off that it would blue within 1000 miles with a proper tune.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 AM
martin14
Cruiser

I have V&H long shots, 3 years, still look and sound great.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahks

I'm not a betting man.

+1. I have seen many exhaust with leaks discolor. Usually the muffler with an insufficiently tighten clamp.

Quick Reply: Never buy Vance and Hines again