Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Compression realeases malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am pretty sure you have manual releases, due to your statement that you use them when hot. They just thread in. Careful if you pull them, you do not need to tighten them very much when putting them back in as they do have a gasket, tighten no more than you would a spark plug.

The 2010 are pre-wired for ACRs, but it requires the heads to be machined for them which most dealers are not going to do unless they charge extra. I have ACRs on my bike and would never go back to manuals, 22k miles so far without issues so I think they have got it right.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I have had the ACR's for just over 1 year and they have been flawless in operation.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious as to why you use them in hot/warm temps but not cooler temps. Isn't the purpose of compression releases to take some load off the starter motor? The engine cranks easier in warm weather than it does in cold weather. Cold air is denser than warm air and creates slightly higher compression than warm air. Unless you run synthetic, oil is also thicker in cold weather making the engine harder to crank.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pnw_hd_rider
I'm curious as to why you use them in hot/warm temps but not cooler temps. Isn't the purpose of compression releases to take some load off the starter motor? The engine cranks easier in warm weather than it does in cold weather. Cold air is denser than warm air and creates slightly higher compression than warm air. Unless you run synthetic, oil is also thicker in cold weather making the engine harder to crank.
I recommend using them in all weather, except in very hot conditions when the motor is shut down hot and not allowed to cool ....

Under those conditions, sometimes I have a hard time starting ... if I close one of them, it'll usually hit of pretty quickly ... so, if it is really hot outside (~98* or above) and the motor is hot, you might only use one compression release ....

Just my $0.02 ....

R/
'Chop