Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

TC88 and cam lifter direction??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Originally Posted by fxe77rebel
Funny, I've got the same question. New cam, new lifters. The bike is an '01. Lifter part number = 18538-99. Latest version of number now ends in "C". Service manual states "...with the oil hole on the inboard side and the flats on the lifters facing forward and rearward". Problem is the new "C" lifter, the oil hole is inline with the flats, therefor it can't be inboard. So forward or rearward? Line it up with the holes in the bores? Front lifters forward, rear rearward. Or as stated earlier, does it matter?
No, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
have.

No disrespect intended to you or your subject matter expert
He's not my subject matter expert, just a gentleman I happen to know, and I was passing along something he told me in a conversation. (I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, just a shade tree hack). The little bit of effort it takes to look at a lifter when it comes out to see which way the oil hole is oriented is all it costs. Obviously if you're using new lifters, this has no relevance whatsoever. There's no "data", just his experience that I was sharing with the forum. You're more than welcome to completely disregard it.

Last edited by Mike; 02-20-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
He's not my subject matter expert, just a gentleman I happen to know, and I was passing along something he told me in a conversation. (I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, just a shade tree hack). The little bit of effort it takes to look at a lifter when it comes out to see which way the oil hole is oriented is all it costs. Obviously if you're using new lifters, this has no relevance whatsoever. There's no "data", just his experience that I was sharing with the forum. You're more than welcome to completely disregard it.
As one shade tree hack to another, no disagreement that the little effort required to reinstall the lifter, in any bore, but oriented as it carme out may be worthwhile. I was just curious if the hypothesis was more than anecdotal and, if so, what part of the lifter experienced the acclerated wear and how accelerated wear was defined. There is a lot to know about the TC engine; no matter how many builds or how much you read; the devil is in the details.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
rob585
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feuling 525 cam chest kit. Instructions talk about pumping the lifters, filling with oil. The lifters are stiff,insert does not move. What am I doing wrong? How do you fill and exercise the lifter before install?

Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by rob585
Feuling 525 cam chest kit. Instructions talk about pumping the lifters, filling with oil. The lifters are stiff,insert does not move. What am I doing wrong? How do you fill and exercise the lifter before install?
Don't worry about it. If the lifters are stiff, they are primed. If all you are doing is a cam change, there oil passages, lines and galleys are full. Before startup, with plugs out and grounded, spin the starter for a few seconds; a couple of short bursts. Install the plugs and fire the motor up. The valve train may clatter for a half minute or so if the lifters were not fully primed but they will pump up quickly.