Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

how to run conversion cams in SE hydraulic upgrade cam plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
hogrunner25
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to run conversion cams in SE hydraulic upgrade cam plate

I ordered some new Fueling conversion cams, but have the SE hydraulic upgrade kit (billet cam plate) and have now discovered that the journals for the conversion cams are for a different size (new in 07?). I am talking about the "outside" journal in the cam plate, not the inner bearings (they will work).

Is there any way to run the conversions cams in the SE upgrade cam plate or am I going to have to purchase a new 07 style cam plate??? Looks I am moving from the "upgrade" to the "conversion."

Old 12-04-2012, 02:58 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by hogrunner25
I ordered some new Fueling conversion cams, but have the SE hydraulic upgrade kit (billet cam plate) and have now discovered that the journals for the conversion cams are for a different size (new in 07?). I am talking about the "outside" journal in the cam plate, not the inner bearings (they will work).

Is there any way to run the conversions cams in the SE upgrade cam plate or am I going to have to purchase a new 07 style cam plate??? Looks I am moving from the "upgrade" to the "conversion."
You must have the 25284-11 SE Hybrid cam plate/kit which is designed to upgrade the early OEM cam plate/spring tensioner setup to the later hydro tensioner/roller chain setup. That cam plate requires outer roller/ball bearings and is not compatible with conversion cams.

The OEM '07 and later cam plate, PN 25355-06, will work with your conversion cams. You will also need the tensioners, chains, drive sprockets, cam spacers and tensioner fasteners. If the bike is '99-'01, you will need the rear drive sprocket with the trigger ring and will need to block off an oil port.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
hogrunner25
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I have the new tensioners and fastners for the billet plate. Any idea if they will work on the new 07-11 hyrid cam plate? I also got the upgraded oil pump with the SE kit, but will it work with the 07-11 cam plate?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:58 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by hogrunner25
Thanks for the feedback. I have the new tensioners and fastners for the billet plate. Any idea if they will work on the new 07-11 hyrid cam plate? I also got the upgraded oil pump with the SE kit, but will it work with the 07-11 cam plate?
The parts you are interchangeable between the SE Hybrid plate, the '07 and up billet late or the '07 up OEM plate; your good to go with those parts.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I do not mean to hijack this thread but I just got tottally confused here. I wish to eliminate the inner link chain and go to the newer hydraulic tensioners on my 2005 Ultra. I thought the conversion plate did this. I see it doesn't. What parts do I have to get? Does the oem cam plate from a 07+ twin cam fit my 05 88"? Oil pump also the oem for 07+?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by asm481
I do not mean to hijack this thread but I just got tottally confused here. I wish to eliminate the inner link chain and go to the newer hydraulic tensioners on my 2005 Ultra. I thought the conversion plate did this. I see it doesn't. What parts do I have to get? Does the oem cam plate from a 07+ twin cam fit my 05 88"? Oil pump also the oem for 07+?
There are three ways to skin the cat; two that use the SE billet plate and one that uses the OEM plate. The two billet plate options are shown below and you have elminated the 25284-11 option because you don't want the old inner chain.

You can go with 25282-11 if you want the billet plate; you would need to order the other parts to complete the conversion since this is an update to the OEM plate and if you were upgrading you would already have the tensioners, chains etc.

The third and cheaper option is to use the '07 and later OEM cam pate and pump. Andrews and Herko used to sell a kit but the MoCo stopped that. Below is the list of parts to make this conversion but you will need "conversion" cams, like the Andrews N series. You can order the parts from an online discount dealer like Newcastle, Chicago H-D, Surdyke, etc. and save some $$$.

I would also suggest the service manual for your bike if you don't have one and that you upgrade the inner cam bearings as part of the conversion; Torrington B148s.