Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

my slip ons keep coming off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
michelob
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my slip ons keep coming off!

I have an 06 dyna super glide. I bought SE slipons for it. I put them on and tightened them as tight as I could. No problem for about 10 miles. I went out and started the bike a few days ago and notice that they were slipping off. I shut the bike off and grabbed the pipes and the came right off.

I have them as tight as they will go. In the book catelog I took with me to the dealer, it said I needed a new clap kit, but the parts guy said the stock ones would work.

Am I missing something or do I need to go back and get new clamps....sorry for suck a stupid question but I am new to this.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 PM
lschultz
Road Master
Default RE: my slip ons keep coming off!

I would get some new muffler clamps and try that. I think HD says to replace them anytime you remove the mufflers but I have used them several times and they have not come loose. You might of overtightned them and stretched the threads. Get you a shop manual if you don't have one and torque them to what it says.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 PM
RenoGlide
Tourer

You are not the first to have this problem, sometimes the pipe & the mufflers have too much gap & no amunt of clamping force will fix it. Heres some options.....

You can ............

> buy new clamps and maybe it will help but may not fix it
> drill a hole & rivet the mufflers in place & use the clamp - dealers do this too
> make a shim from a alum cola can to take up the gap then clamp it on
> drill a hole & use a stainless self-tapping screw & the clamp
>use a exhaust pipe expander to stretch the exhaust pipe larger to take up the gap - do this carefully
> buy different mufflers....

Ive used all the ideas above before

Reno
www.FastAire.com

Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

had same problem with mine too i tightened them took it for a ride got it good and hot and tightened them again then again after they cooled down .. they seem tight now but i still check them when i think about it

Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weren't there any rivets in the kit? I was unaware that 06 did away with them. Dyna SE slip on's always came with rivets because the mufflers were only clamped on...

Old 02-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley dealer worked on my bike and the next day noticed my pipes were backing out too. I finally noticed that they didn't move the clamps back to the end of the mufllers. If your mufflers have the slits in the pipe at the end of the mufller, try moving the clamp close to the end of the mufflers. If any of the clamp is beyond the slits, it will not tighten up properly and will slide off.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

The stock H-D (Torca) clamps need to be torqued to 40 - 60 ft lbs with 50 ft lbs being optimum. You are going to need a 1/2" drive torque wrench. The handle on the 1/2" drive wrench is long enough to put that type of torque on the bolts.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the stock clamps suck...there's a piece between the clamp halves that wont allow total tightening...all answers above are true....do this...get a clamp like v&h uses(heavy duty stainless with bolt tightener, easy to find)...put some copperseal gasket stuff on the end of the pipe....position the clamp on the end of the slip on as far as you can go so's you see some of the slit on the slip on side and none on the clamp side..put a gorilla on the clamp...let it sit...never slip again...

what youve done is lose the limits of clampin force by changin clamps...use all the give your slip on will allow by proper positionin of the clamp...sealed and secured the slip on from leaks & movement

Old 02-11-2007, 04:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,071 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Call Bountyhunter and explain your situation.....he knows how to help [8D]

Old 02-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Jakes
6th Gear

The stock muffs have a rivetunder the clamp to keep them from backing off. You have to remove the rivet to get the old muff off. Most slip-on replacements have a hole that will line up with the hole left by the rivet in the head pipe, if it doesn't just drill the right size hole in the new muff were it was located in the old one.Use a cut off nail, or go to the hardware store and pick up the right sized rivet. Insert it in the hole (you don't have to rivet it in) and the put the clamp over the top of the rivet head to keep it from coming out. This will keep the muff from coming off.

Quick Reply: my slip ons keep coming off!