Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Twin cam crank press

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
46u
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman9
Well let us know what you figure out Jeff, I am real interested. I am going to check the crank in my bike this spring, I have the gear drive conversion to install. There is no way I am spending the kind of cash these companies want to true a crank. I believe I can do it, I have enough experience with the small cranks, it obviously just takes more force to move the HD crank. From what I am reading though, it sounds like the crank in my 99 is probably within .001" anyway. Time will tell though.

What are you up to soft 02, are you building a bigger engine, or just making yours bullet proof?
We have the press done for pressing apart and back together just did not have a camera with me. I am not going to bring it home till we have everything done. Next time I go to my friends shop I will try and remember to take my camera. Yes the earlier cranks 99-02 are much better and they all so have the good motor sprocket bearings.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soft 02
Spun a wrist pin bushing and they are not servicable so im doing the crank and going to a bullet proof 107"
99% of spun wrist pin bushing are serviceable. The rods are a lot harder then the brass bushing. That is why I expanded all the bushings I put in. I have a 82 shovel motor I am building and both wrist pin bushings spun and I think I will be able to fix them no problem. Do not know about twin cams but they make over size bushings for the Evo and shovel. Keep us posted on your progress soft 02. I am subscribed to your build thread.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
99% of spun wrist pin bushing are serviceable. The rods are a lot harder then the brass bushing. That is why I expanded all the bushings I put in. I have a 82 shovel motor I am building and both wrist pin bushings spun and I think I will be able to fix them no problem. Do not know about twin cams but they make over size bushings for the Evo and shovel. Keep us posted on your progress soft 02. I am subscribed to your build thread.
07 and 10 are not serviceable and 11-13 they got rid of the bushing all together. I got a bastard year test bed model.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
Here is a brand new set of Jims wrist pin bushings for twin cams on Ebay >>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jims-Wrist-P...140#vi-content

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
soft 02 has a 07 softail. That price is totally absurd. That is why I use many Eastern parts as they are at least half of many others. They been making parts long before Jim's did. Have a set of rods I will be building the first of next week.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
07-10 are not serviceable but thanks.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Sorry guys I have no updates but since the day I was out there and started this thread have not been back out there. I am going to try and make it out there if nothing else get some pictures and maybe a video.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM
46u
Road Warrior

Could not find my video camera as well as Ken had is welding table full of other projects. Will try to make a video sometime. It use 3 different rams for taking and putting it together. As you cans see it is very heavy duty. Every thing was made as perfectly square which is real important.

Tell me what you think.

Pat. pending.

Last edited by 46u; 04-06-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 46u
Could not find my video camera as well as Ken had is welding table full of other projects. Will try to make a video sometime. It use 3 different rams for taking and putting it together. As you cans see it is very heavy duty. Every thing was made as perfectly square which is real important.

Tell me what you think.

Pat. pending.

Looks heavy duty. Nice job!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:41 PM
46u
Road Warrior

I only have a 20 ton not sure how it will work on installing new crack pins. When we first pressed the crank apart then first time on Ken s big 50 ton only got up to 16 ton to press it apart. But being we have nothing to go by since the big crank people will not tell you anything I fill we are on the right track.

All I wanted to know was how they did it and since they will not tell me anything I had to build something to get an good idea.

Working on the truing jib. We have it all drawn up but have not started on it. The way we hope it will work I should be able to turn it in the Rowe truing stand with out have to take it out every time to make an adjustment with out hurting the truing stand.

Here is a Tesla coil he made even the donut on top. It will shoot a spark up to about 6 feet. Whe sees something he likes he go home and builds it. He has many other net toys he made.

Last edited by 46u; 04-07-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Twin cam crank press