Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

small leak at primary..what tools to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the part# of your Jims bearing 8960? That works for a 2008 FLHX? It doesn't look like it lists my bike. Is there a upgrade bearing for my bike?

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-05-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by GaugeMods
What was the part# of your Jims bearing 8960? That works for a 2008 FLHX? It doesn't look like it lists my bike. Is there a upgrade bearing for my bike?
The Baker Hi Torque bearing fits '85-'07; shaft diameter changed in '08 IIRC. All ***** makes a one piece primary bearing/seal kit but don't know if they make one for early and late models. I know nothing about the Jims bearing. S&S makes a tapered IPB to replace the OEM IPB but I don't think they make one for the '08 and later models.

Some swear by the one piece units but I will stick with the OEM configuration and like the S&S race. I would go with the OEM piece before going aftermarket with the one piece but that's just me.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

I ordered the Jims transmission rebuild kit and a hayden primary chain tensioner. I didn't order any 1 piece bearing yet waiting to hear back on that.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by djl
The Baker Hi Torque bearing fits '85-'07; shaft diameter changed in '08 IIRC. All ***** makes a one piece primary bearing/seal kit but don't know if they make one for early and late models. I know nothing about the Jims bearing. S&S makes a tapered IPB to replace the OEM IPB but I don't think they make one for the '08 and later models.

Some swear by the one piece units but I will stick with the OEM configuration and like the S&S race. I would go with the OEM piece before going aftermarket with the one piece but that's just me.
Well looks like the factory parts will have to do. This is a big job. It looks intimidating the whole primary and all. I just want to get the gearset out and take it to some1 that knows what they are doing. along with the clutch hub to have new bearings pressed in.

If the Baker 7 speed was a overdrive I would consider it but I just can't see spending that kind of cash and not having overdrive, what were they thinking

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Well looks like the factory parts will have to do. This is a big job. It looks intimidating the whole primary and all. I just want to get the gearset out and take it to some1 that knows what they are doing. along with the clutch hub to have new bearings pressed in.

If the Baker 7 speed was a overdrive I would consider it but I just can't see spending that kind of cash and not having overdrive, what were they thinking
I know the job looks intimidating but if you have basic mechanical skills and the service manual; not that bad. It is a dirty, labor intensive job and hard on your hands but a good pair of gloves make things better. I like the Maxi Flex gloves by G Tek; when they get dirty and oily, you can just wash your hands with the gloves on, take them off, put on another pair and let those dry.

I don't know what is wrong with your gear set but replacing gears is the easy part once you have the gear set on the bench. All the work is in the R/R process.

Some special tools are required if you are replacing the main drive gear and you will need a good pair of lock ring, not snap ring, pliers.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the bearing kit i bought is 8960, mines older though..02 model. I think it showed for up to 06 models.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by djl
I know the job looks intimidating but if you have basic mechanical skills and the service manual; not that bad. It is a dirty, labor intensive job and hard on your hands but a good pair of gloves make things better. I like the Maxi Flex gloves by G Tek; when they get dirty and oily, you can just wash your hands with the gloves on, take them off, put on another pair and let those dry.

I don't know what is wrong with your gear set but replacing gears is the easy part once you have the gear set on the bench. All the work is in the R/R process.

Some special tools are required if you are replacing the main drive gear and you will need a good pair of lock ring, not snap ring, pliers.
I have no 3rd or 4th gear gone, nothing there. Might just be a bent shift fork, I'm not sure, could have sheared the teeth or the pads that engage when the gear slides into its mate. Your guess would be better than mine.

All I know is there is no cheap option of repairing it and paying some1 just increases the expense.

I am very mechanically inclined having the right tools always helps and makes the job easier. I have a friend that, I modded his Gauges, is going to lend me the tools for the primary as he just had to rebuild his tranny.
Like I said I just want to get the gear set out as a unit and take it to some1 and go from there that will save me a few hundred, slide it back in and button it back up.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:26 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor

Alexandria Bike Works of Alexandria, LA sent me a gear set and some shift forks for doing his wife's sportsters gauges for free. So after reading your post djl over again I decided to mess around with them and take them apart and put it them back together a couple of times. You're right djl it isn't as bad as it looks.

I have some more guy's that have a garage and they need 1 more set of gauges modded so I'm trading my work for their help, they have the press I need. I have made some good friends modding gauges and don't mind helping some1 out what comes around goes around.

I believe I have all the spare parts I need, the rebuild kit, new chrome inner, SE Comp, Hayden primary tensioner, SE variable pressure clutch, I just hope I'm done spending $$ on it. I expect I will need some bearings in the clutch basket yet, but that's it, I hope.

Now I just need to wait for the weather to get a little warmer so I can begin breaking the bike down.

Attached Thumbnails small leak at primary..what tools to buy-img_0429.jpg  

Last edited by GaugeMods; 04-06-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
kenquagliana
Stage III

Newbie lurking in on this discussion. I have an 07 RKC needs the same Inner Primary work as discussed. The question I have is can the IPB be removed and reinstalled WITHOUT a press. I've done a bit of wrenching before, but I'm just not sure about this aspect of the job. The rest I'm pretty sure I can handle with the SM.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM
jrgreene1968
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kenquagliana
Newbie lurking in on this discussion. I have an 07 RKC needs the same Inner Primary work as discussed. The question I have is can the IPB be removed and reinstalled WITHOUT a press. I've done a bit of wrenching before, but I'm just not sure about this aspect of the job. The rest I'm pretty sure I can handle with the SM.
i would think it could be, if bearing was put in the freezer, and maybe use a heat gun on primary case. I have a press, so i cant say for sure..the jims 1 piece was a pretty snug fit in the case. The hardest part of the whole repair was removing the inner race(mine had walked in), and replacing the small mainshaft seal..getting that seal out is a bugger

Last edited by jrgreene1968; 04-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: small leak at primary..what tools to buy