Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Coming back to life, not a David Gilmore cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM
SE Road King
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coming back to life, not a David Gilmore cover

Recently my 2002 TC95 had a front outboard cam bearing failure. I am certain that the gears will need replacing, the pump, lifters and all the bearings too. Maybe even the camplate. I like the cams themselves, they show no signs of abuse at all.
I pulled the fuel pump fuse and the plugs, hooked my compression gauge up and got 190 on the front 185 on the rear in two identical dry tests. The theoretical benchmark is 201 per my build sheet. Before the failure the engine consumed 4 ounces of oil in 2,500 to 3,000 miles. I have to believe that most of that was consumed as vapor thru the intake as I have to wring out my air cleaner every couple thousand miles.
Here is my plan for the upper end. I will raise the cylinders enough to expose the oil control set ever so slightly, then pick the circlip and slide the wrist pin out. I will prepare a bed of white towels on the bench and then using a pump-up sprayer I will flush the inside of the piston thru the oil control set and see what comes out. If near to nothing comes out as far as trash goes then I can reassemble with new seals and without disturbing the top 2 sets of rings or their "seating" in the piston/bore. I can also check a few other issues while the jugs are off.
What do ya think?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:02 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,522 Posts

You didn't say what the metrics were for deciding how much of what would have to come out to justify going beyond reassembly? Or what going beyond reassembly would be?

If looking for a definitive black/white decision point on how far to take the top end work, send an oil sample to Blackstone labs. If there is metal or any foreign material traveling in the oil, you will know it and then you can decide what to do.

You are pulling the cylinders; not that much more work to hone and re-ring. Looks like a short cut to me and I haven't had much luck with short cuts. JMHO