Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Guess what, my Evo is spitting oil out the breather..... imagine that

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM
travistodd1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guess what, my Evo is spitting oil out the breather..... imagine that

I know this is common. I have read the threads and still would like a little guidance...

I got this bike after it has sat for several years and have been correcting the previous owners blunders. After a series of other problems leading me to remove the oil pump and install the missing woodruf key on the scavenge side I put it all back together and the amount of oil coming from my breather has dramatically reduced but it still gives a spray out the breather vent....

I made sure there was not an oil overfill issue. I know it is scavenging now and it has good oil pressure. What am i missing. I rode to the station (ran out of gas while working on it) and down the highway for a bit but only succeeded in coating the side of the bike with oil....still spraying a steady mist out...

Any suggestions where to go from here? Of course it has the base gaskets weeping as well..... That is waiting until everything else is buttoned up. Once that is done i think all I have to do is get the front brake to bleed.... another mystery that has befuddled me...

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

It may snot/mist out of the breather for a bit, if in fact the cases were once full of oil............unless of course the breather timing is off.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM
travistodd1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be my luck that the breather timing is off. I just know it...

I looked this morning and discovered a descent puddle that had formed under the bike from oil dripping off the frame. It appears to have been from the breather tube misting the underneath side of the bike (good thing I put cardboard under it last night). I will inspect closer to ensure that I don't have a leak elsewhere as well. My base gaskets on the other hand seem to be leaking less (yes there is still oil in the bike). I am hoping they just were dry and a little oil caused them to swell back up a little. I will still be changing them at a later date.

The crankcase was full of oil at one point because it was not scavenging at all. It was simply pushing the oil out of the vent in a steady stream.... That is another story all together...

I guess I cant complain... I only paid 3 grand for it. I expected there to be some problems.... I am pleased with how strong it runs. It flat gets it... especially compared to my Ultra...

Thanks
Travis