Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Review of Rinehart Slimline Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM
VIRDOC
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Review of Rinehart Slimline Duals

Review of the Rinehart Slimline Duals with 4 inch Rinehart Mufflers

NOTE: I do not work for Rinehart. In fact, I do not work for any company that is motorcycle related. This is simply my opinion on the exhaust mentioned above. I thought this may be helpful for some who are deciding if this new exhaust would be right for them.

Motorcycle – 2014 Street Glide Special

Exhaust – Rinehart Slimline Duals with 4 inch Rinehart Mufflers (100-0400)

Purchased – From HD Dealership

Installation – Performed by yours truly

Exhaust Type – This is a balanced exhaust system and not a true dual exhaust.

Ease of installation - I have installed several types of exhausts on HD motorcycles, however, I am by no means an expert. The installation went smooth without any problems. The headers are fixed in position due to the balance pipe so it does take a little more wiggling to get them seated versus true dual headers like I previously had. I had more trouble getting the supplied exhaust gaskets seated than I had before. I do believe this is partly do to me trying to install the exhaust on my garage floor instead of on a motorcycle lift. I see a lift in my future. The stock bracket for the crossover pipe has to be removed and replaced with the supplied bracket. The instructions are short, to the point and include a few key photos to aid in installation. I think any relatively competent grease monkey can easily install this exhaust without difficulty.

Fitment - The exhaust crosses very close to the transmission cover. There is a supplied cutout in the heat shield for the transmission cover, so I assume this is expected. If you install this exhaust, please comment on the fitment around the transmission cover. Otherwise there were no issues with fitment.

Appearance - I absolutely love the way this exhaust looks. The cover over the balance pipe looks awesome. The writing appears laser etched. The chrome was pristine. Rinehart always does an amazing job on the fit and finish of their products (in my opinion).

Sound – The slimline duals sound fantastic. I have always loved the deep rumble you get with a Rinehart complete exhaust system. The slimline duals do not sound as deep as my Rinehart true duals, but its pretty close. I would classify the slimline duals as a medium to loud exhaust (greatly improved over the stock exhaust) With a little twist of the throttle the slimline duals come to life and can sound just as loud my true duals did. Ease up on the throttle and the exhaust settles down into a nice tolerable rumble. On a touring bike, this is huge advantage. At cruising speed it’s loud enough to be heard, but quiet enough that I can enjoy my tunes. But if you want to be noticed, get on the throttle a little and this exhaust will not disappoint!

Performance – With my true duals, I noticed a loss in the torque in the lower RPM range. It’s hard to believe that little balance pipe can help maintain torque in the lower RPM range, but it definitely does. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the slimline duals. I am not sure how much HP the bike actually gained, but I can tell there is a little improvement. This was a great first step in my stage 1 upgrade.

Overall Impression – What can I say, I love Rinehart exhausts. I have always been a fan of true dual systems because I loved the loud deep rumble. I was a little concerned I would be underwhelmed by the slimline duals. When I purchased the street glide, I wanted an exhaust that was a little more manageable. An exhaust that is loud when I want it to be, but tolerable at cruising speeds. The new slimline duals did exactly what I wanted and I couldn’t be happier.

Attached Thumbnails Review of Rinehart Slimline Duals-20140719_163557.jpg   Review of Rinehart Slimline Duals-20140719_171428.jpg  

Last edited by VIRDOC; 07-24-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 07-24-2014, 05:17 PM
VIRDOC
Advanced

Any one know why I can't see my own pictures? When I click on them, it says I do not have permission.

I will try to get some more photos of the exhaust the next time I have the bike out.

Last edited by VIRDOC; 07-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

probably because you don't have enough posts. :-)

go post around til you get to 15 or so.. then come back..

Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VIRDOC

NOTE: I do not work for Rinehart. In fact, I do not work for any company that is motorcycle related. This is simply my opinion on the exhaust mentioned above. I thought this may be helpful for some who are deciding if this new exhaust would be right for them.

Ease of installation - I have installed several types of exhausts on HD motorcycles, however, I am by no means an expert. The installation went smooth without any problems. The headers are fixed in position due to the balance pipe so it does take a little more wiggling to get them seated versus true dual headers like I previously had. I had more trouble getting the supplied exhaust gaskets seated than I had before. I do believe this is partly do to me trying to install the exhaust on my garage floor instead of on a motorcycle lift. I see a lift in my future. The stock bracket for the crossover pipe has to be removed and replaced with the supplied bracket. The instructions are short, to the point and include a few key photos to aid in installation. I think any relatively competent grease monkey can easily install this exhaust without difficulty.

Fitment - The exhaust crosses very close to the transmission cover. There is a supplied cutout in the heat shield for the transmission cover, so I assume this is expected. If you install this exhaust, please comment on the fitment around the transmission cover. Otherwise there were no issues with fitment.

Appearance - I absolutely love the way this exhaust looks. The cover over the balance pipe looks awesome. The writing appears laser etched. The chrome was pristine. Rinehart always does an amazing job on the fit and finish of their products (in my opinion).

Sound – The slimline duals sound fantastic. I have always loved the deep rumble you get with a Rinehart complete exhaust system. The slimline duals do not sound as deep as my Rinehart true duals, but its pretty close. I would classify the slimline duals as a medium to loud exhaust (greatly improved over the stock exhaust) With a little twist of the throttle the slimline duals come to life and can sound just as loud my true duals did. Ease up on the throttle and the exhaust settles down into a nice tolerable rumble. On a touring bike, this is huge advantage. At cruising speed it’s loud enough to be heard, but quiet enough that I can enjoy my tunes. But if you want to be noticed, get on the throttle a little and this exhaust will not disappoint!

Performance – With my true duals, I noticed a loss in the torque in the lower RPM range. It’s hard to believe that little balance pipe can help maintain torque in the lower RPM range, but it definitely does. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the slimline duals. I am not sure how much HP the bike actually gained, but I can tell there is a little improvement. This was a great first step in my stage 1 upgrade.

Overall Impression – What can I say, I love Rinehart exhausts. I have always been a fan of true dual systems because I loved the loud deep rumble. I was a little concerned I would be underwhelmed by the slimline duals. When I purchased the street glide, I wanted an exhaust that was a little more manageable. An exhaust that is loud when I want it to be, but tolerable at cruising speeds. The new slimline duals did exactly what I wanted and I couldn’t be happier.
Great review, have you replaced you air filter or added a tuner? Add some more pics too.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:34 PM
VIRDOC
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Great review, have you replaced you air filter or added a tuner? Add some more pics too.
I will try to get more pics.

Currently I am not running a tuner. I did not notice a performance decrease.

I do plan to install a tuner soon.

The exhaust has become louder over the last few months. I can honestly say that it just keeps sounding better and better.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Vesa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review, thanks! I am currently thinking about the different Rinehart models, so this really helped.

Does the set come with O2 sensors, you can you run the stock sensors? I was planning to use V&H fuelpak3, does it require other than the stock sensors?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Vesa
Great review, thanks! I am currently thinking about the different Rinehart models, so this really helped.

Does the set come with O2 sensors, you can you run the stock sensors? I was planning to use V&H fuelpak3, does it require other than the stock sensors?
you would use your stock o2 sensors.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:02 PM
rbaley680
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review-I am researching complete Rinehart systems too. I can't see pictures either...will be posting more

Old 11-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Hinzy
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

rbaley680 , I'm down the road south of Joliet
Send me your e-mail address I've got a sound byte
I have the slimline system with 4 inch chrome mufflers with chrome caps

Last edited by Hinzy; 11-28-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:45 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default o2 sensor location ??????????

Originally Posted by VIRDOC

Could you tell me the location of the o2 sensor ports, compared to the stock location on the stock head pipe's and are they 12mm post's on the new exhaust ?
Thanks
Live Free = Ride Free..........

Quick Reply: Review of Rinehart Slimline Duals