Forum Issues Discuss any issues you are having with the Harley Davidson Forum software here.

Did the POD go missing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Keith are you a paying member?
Nope. I also don't pay for Facebook, or my email accounts, my photo hosting account, and other social/professional networking sites. I do pay for an online education system, Office365, Adobe Creative Cloud, and other sites though. Do you think that this site offers any more value than Facebook? How about YouTube?

This site is fine for what it is and I have gotten some use out of it over the last 10 years while I was shopping for my bike and after I bought it. Not enough to justify a membership fee though.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:55 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 37,725 Likes on 12,987 Posts

It's all about keith.......all the time.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:59 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by OKMICK
When you are microwaving popcorn you listen and when no kernels have popped for about 3 seconds you take it out. When the number of people paying the ransom drops to a pre-determined level they will.
Interesting analogy. Funny story... right after I started working a new job (a million years ago) I was popping some popcorn in the microwave in the breakroom. Of course, I wasn't used to the new microwave, but I walked away from it anyway. Big mistake. When I returned, my bag of popcorn was practically on fire, smoking like a stovepipe. The fire alarm ended up going off, forced he evacuation of the building, the fire department showed up to clear the building before we were allowed back in. Not a good way to make a first impression.

Point being... I now use the timer when I pop popcorn, because what I learned is that is easy to walk away long enough for things to go south pretty steep and pretty fast. I doubt the POD is capable of bringing down the entire forum, but if the forum lost just one advertiser because of the stuff that goes on down there, it would not be tolerated at all.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:00 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,142 Likes on 3,350 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
Agreed. Being a paid member would require providing personal information. Not that I have any idea what they would do with the information. But, it would force the trolls into the light, which is something they hate; while generating revenue for the forum. Brilliant move really.

The problem is... anyone who is willing to pay for the privilege of posting in the POD will fall into one of two categories...

- Supporters of this forum who are willing to pay a subscription to contribute to its ongoing existence and success. People like these are likely not interested in the POD and are actual motorcycle enthusiasts who spend their time in the upper other forums.
- Trolls who are willing to pay to be given an opportunity to spread their message.

What I am surprised by is that the moderators did not hide the forum from everyone who is not a paying member.
Well, after getting good information on road trips, technical info, tips on various life things, access to the classifieds, HD's in general and yes sharing my opinion in the POD section, at not cost for however long I've been in here, I became a paying member yesterday.Yeah, $ 25.00, wow.. The cost of a 12 pack of Stella.
I DO own a motorcycle, two actually ( do you?) and have for over 40 years. I'm interested in the POD because I stay on top of things happening in politics for the same reason I have been watching the SCOTUS hearing. Because it MATTERS.. NOT staying up to date is what leads to cra* like only 37% of all the registered voters in NJ , voting in the last election. And yes, I post in other sections of this forum regularly. Where is the "problem" in that?

Last edited by stixvrad; 09-07-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:08 AM
keith_stepp
Banned

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Well, after getting good information on road trips, technical info, tips on various life things, access to the classifieds, HD's in general and yes sharing my opinion in the POD section, at not cost for however long I've been in here, I became a paying member yesterday.Yeah, $ 25.00, wow.. The cost of a 12 pack of Stella.
I DO own a motorcycle, two actually ( do you?) and have for over 40 years. I'm interested in the POD because I stay on top of things happening in politics for the same reason I have been watching the SCOTUS hearing. Because it MATTERS.. NOT staying up to date is what leads to cra* like only 37% of all the registered voters in NJ , voting in the last election. And yes, I post in other sections of this forum regularly. Where is the "problem" in that?
A few things... that you do not know if I own a bike or not is evidence that you don't know me. Second, good for you. I am all for people staying informed and up on current events. The POD is not a good way to do that BTW. Lastly, value is subjective. I am sure the forum owners appreciate your patronage. There is a sailing channel on YouTube that I watch faithfully, which has a Patreon site. I choose not to be a patron. Why? Because YouTube uses a similar business model to this site, and they get paid regardless. The added value of being a patron is not worth it to me. Value is subjective.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:13 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,613 Likes on 3,434 Posts

I will say, I’ve checked in on the POD a couple times; it has absolutely become an echo chamber and it appears everyone is enjoying it. I have no plans to ruin the party.

Last edited by laz; 09-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by laz:
71on72 (09-07-2018), Advocatus Diaboli (09-07-2018), Chief1297 (09-07-2018), snipit (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,014 Likes on 18,654 Posts

A few things... that you do not know if I own a bike or not is evidence that you don't know me. Second, good for you. I am all for people staying informed and up on current events. The POD is not a good way to do that BTW. Lastly, value is subjective. I am sure the forum owners appreciate your patronage. There is a sailing channel on YouTube that I watch faithfully, which has a Patreon site. I choose not to be a patron. Why? Because YouTube uses a similar business model to this site, and they get paid regardless. The added value of being a patron is not worth it to me. Value is subjective.
" I am all for people staying informed and up on current events. The POD is not a good way to do that BTW " ... I beg to differ ... Wild, outlandish and unsubstantiated statements will instill a curiosity to investigate the "claim" and will, in the end, make the person a more well informed individual :>)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
1Canuck (09-07-2018), sailmotion (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,142 Likes on 3,350 Posts

I dont "know" anyone in here as in , met face to face. I do know that its a bike forum . Do you own a bike? Simple question. It helps put perspective on things to know that. Most who do have it either in their signature, or photos in an album because they;re proud of what they ride. I see you have a Mountain Dew can photo and that's about it.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:19 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by laz
I will say, I’ve checked in on the POD a couple times; it has absolutely become an echo chamber and it appears everyone is enjoying it. I have no plans to ruin the party.
too bad, you were well received and offered alternate views

Old 09-07-2018, 09:24 AM
laz
Extreme HDF Member

Received 9,613 Likes on 3,434 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck
too bad, you were well received and offered alternate views
I appreciate that, but everything evolves including the POD. It was fun while it lasted. Definitely can’t say it was ever boring.