Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

Front progressive hd spring install

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 11:31 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Front progressive hd spring install

I have a 2008 Rocker C, low miles, but I'm a big guy, when I hit front brakes, it dives... so I have Axel off, rim, caliper out, as I'm chroming rims, and powder coating calipers, figured this might be a perfect time to do this much needed mod, can anyone shed some light on what other parts will be needed, again its low milage 3k, so fork seal etc, anything you might think rather KNOW ILL need, would be appreciated....is it a big thing to do? I mechanically inclined, I'm doing a lot of work myself, and actually redoing a lot first indy did, he was sloppy, and did **** work, used those twisty wire connectors, when I specifically said I want all lines soldered and heat shrieked...I mean did he think I wouldn't seee, lol, I did the 70/30 mod myself, that a hell of a lot more involved,....anyway, any tips or pointers, or what steps to go first would be greatly appreciated!!..thanks

Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

ACTUALLY LOOKING INTO PROGRESSIVE HEAVY DUTY LOWERING SPRINGS, I LOOKED AT BOTH, RESEARCHED A FEW HOURS, THE GOLD EMULATORS FROM RACE TEK, AND THE INTIMADATORS BY RICOR, SEEMS THEW RICORS, DO A BIT MORE, BEING THERES NOT A WHOLE HELL OF ALOT YOU CAN DO WITH A ROCKER FRONT END I DONT MIND SPENDING THE EXTRA $$ FOR THE RICORS, OVER JUST SPRINGS, TO HAVE A KICK *** FRONT END, I JUST HOPE THE 422'S HD HOLD UP, AS THATS ALL I SEE. FOR THE REAR OF MY 2008 ROCKER C.....TIME WILL TELL, ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE GUYS AS WELL? THANKS

http://thunderpress.net/parts-produc...2009/09/17.htm

WRITE UP ON THE RICORS, AND TO THE SITE, THE RACE TECK GOLD EMULATORS, DIDN'T IMPRESS ME HONESTLY.....

Old 11-13-2017, 05:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Tommy, turn your caps and bold off, there's a good chap - it looks like you're shouting!

If you don't have one, buy the FSM for your bike, which will show you how to strip and rebuild your forks. If you're a big guy, I would advise against lowering your forks, as that will simply lower ride quality as well! Use single-rate springs, matched to your weight, from say Race Tech. They have a calculator on their website, so you can get the correct springs.

I have Emulators in one of my bikes and am not impressed with them, although a pal has them in his bike and is happy. I have briefly used Intiminators in a different bike and they were better IMHO.

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (11-17-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:36 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
Tommy, turn your caps and bold off, there's a good chap - it looks like you're shouting!

If you don't have one, buy the FSM for your bike, which will show you how to strip and rebuild your forks. If you're a big guy, I would advise against lowering your forks, as that will simply lower ride quality as well! Use single-rate springs, matched to your weight, from say Race Tech. They have a calculator on their website, so you can get the correct springs.

I have Emulators in one of my bikes and am not impressed with them, although a pal has them in his bike and is happy. I have briefly used Intiminators in a different bike and they were better IMHO.
the intimidators are the ones I'm going with, I ordered, a tad more $$ , I didn't like hoe the others you have to drill 6 holes in factory lower spacer etc etc, just didn't do nearly as much as the intimidators, why do you say single rate, I have seen those, 1.0kg I was told is good?I thought the progressive nd the intimidators would make for a smooth ride, big y
YES, ,fat, NO, so I can handle tossing the bike around, I just don't like to say I'm lifting weights and beating bags 4-5 hours a day, just say I'm a larger guy...

oh AND THE CAPS, COME ON THATS HIGH SILLYNESS, IF I WAS IN A ARGUMENT I AGREE, fact is a lot of guys on here are exactly kids, so I do it , so people can read what I write better, I haven't heard what you said, for like 18 years, before enlisted in USMC and yes, that deserves caps........LOL...thanks...pleasse expand on single rate, as I was going to go with the race craft single rate springs at first..

Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member

There is a company called Progressive Suspension, who also make progressive-rate springs. Confusing uh?! Progressive-rate springs are fine as a general purpose spring, will suit some riders, but not everyone. Single-rate springs are a better investment and will give a smoother ride as they can better use all the available travel of your forks. That is more important for a heavier rider.

You mention 'race craft', but I suspect you mean Race Tech, who are a widely used supplier of single-rate springs. Check their website to find the correct spring-rate for you, before ordering.

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:46 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Thumbs up

There is a company called Progressive Suspension, who also make progressive-rate springs. Confusing uh?! Progressive-rate springs are fine as a general purpose spring, will suit some riders, but not everyone. Single-rate springs are a better investment and will give a smoother ride as they can better use all the available travel of your forks. That is more important for a heavier rider.

You mention 'race craft', but I suspect you mean Race Tech, who are a widely used supplier of single-rate springs. Check their website to find the correct spring-rate for you, before ordering.
yes I ordered the 1.0kg, and RICORS INTIMIDATORS, I didn't like Race Techs gold emulators, just don't do as much as the intimidators, both companies said stay away from the progressive springs, wonder why? anyway ill post back let you know how it turns out, the set up intimidators, to my weight, style of bike, etc...there setup, I LIKE THAT !!!, and 2 its of 10weight Amsoil Synthetic Fork Oil, all on its way, I have a build thread going on, with alot more there,, but no one really answered my question, but since bike has suck low miles, I'm not gonna mess with fork seals/dust seals etc.... just over 3k...think I'm fine for now!!

Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by TOMMYBLAZIN
.....both companies said stay away from the progressive springs, wonder why?
Progressive-rate springs are a compromise, which most if not all brands use, so that anyone can ride their bikes. This link relates to cars, however the content is also relevant to bikes. In summary, they have some merits, but significant disadvantages, especially on our Harleys which all have short suspension travel and require good damping control to provide a decent ride.

....but since bike has suck low miles, I'm not gonna mess with fork seals/dust seals etc.... just over 3k...think I'm fine for now!!
Yup - no point replacing stuff at such a low mileage.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Thumbs up

Progressive-rate springs are a compromise, which most if not all brands use, so that anyone can ride their bikes. This link relates to cars, however the content is also relevant to bikes. In summary, they have some merits, but significant disadvantages, especially on our Harleys which all have short suspension travel and require good damping control to provide a decent ride.

Yup - no point replacing stuff at such a low mileage.
thanks I appreciated it, just when I took bike outta shop, new 107 build tons of chrome, bars controls, you know the deal, 140 MILES ON MY NEW FEASH , 107ci hillside build... build was out running a Power Vision aero rune, to set my Target Tune, to get it on point!!!! ******* ran a stop, I
' driving on a MAIN RIOAD, HE STOPS right in front of me as he realized there was another truck in lane he decided to cut me off send me flying to get into, and trust me THIS ******* WOULD OF KEPT DRIVING!!!

The jerk kept going on, its her fault, etc, its was a nice Saturday, and a nicer Outta the blue, told the guy to **** the F up, quieted him down real quick, than he WOULDN'T LET COPS TOW MY BIKE??, Guy said who ever rides this, thesis his baby, decided to ride it home, thanked, who knows what it might of become!!, HARLEY RIDER MAN, WE REALLY DO LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER, BIKERS IN GENERAL, BUT HARLEY IS A RIGHTER KNIT GROUP, I've stopped and helped guys stuck on side of road outta gas, made a gas run, paid 20$ in good faith that id return the tank!

lol, I seen 3 guys out of fuel last summer alone, we go up to Bear Mountain in NY alot, Tons of Twists, Beautiful view, the SMELL, OH THE SMELL!!! Its a slice of heaven, and on Thursdays, at the very top 1000's of bikes, huge car show from 67 chevey's, to lamb;s make it it'd there@@@ how can it be the senior citizens fault, she was in other lane, again right side of road, main road, im in a puddle of blood face down, body feeling like I got stung by 6000 African bee's as I rolled, police report said 35.3 feet from bike, over the trucks hoo, bounced off lady in on coming lane, that god she hut the brakes, as I was able, to "push" off her car

Its weird, if you've ever been ion a accident theres a very strange phenomenon that happens, times slows wayyyyyyyyyy down, your life flashed in you r brain,, seems like in your eyes, like all 42 years in that nano second, went right by me, anyhow on looker said, how the hell did I get over his hood, they thought I jumped?

must have a angel, lord knows I ride w/Lucifer , so not more else to say, that I did, out of 30k or so I put into this bike brakes should of been at top of my list,

im actually considering keeping this as a local/show bike, when i'm done, and a new softatail with anti lock brakes, better suspension, as thats the first thing I should of DONE!!!!
sorry for run on, I get passionate when I talk about it I haven't ridden since, building bikes, lots of upgrades as with insurance money i'm doing all the work myself, and it was SHINEY SIDE UP, now I TOTALLY GET IT, had it been other side, Pipes might of ripped my new Hillside 107 Cylinder right off, etc, and most of the chrome id on that side, but not mine, i'm installing the chrome 1.8 heavy duty started tomorrow, the Baker "street Door" did Baker throwout bearing kit, S=HAME ON YOU HARLEY THASTS RIDICULOUSLY SMALL!!! anyway, the intimidators will be here anyway the springs came today, I have a build thread going on if your interested in what i'm doing?

I have 49mm forks, but this is what I was told and 1.0 kg cause of my size, thank-you USMC!!!!!

AND IM CHANGING SLOWLUY ALL MY GARWARE TO THESE GUYS 20% STRINGER THAN GRADE , AND LET ME TELL YOU I HAVE SO FAR FRONT/REAR CALIPER MOUINT KITS, AND INSTALL KITS, PULLEY 12 POINTS, THAT THEY CUSTIOM SHAVED TO FIT IN SWEET ROUNDED SPACER MUCH Much nicer look, extra 2$ a bolt I cant complain! yea rotors/pulley/calipers/trans door,As I go along I make a list about 150$ or so 2 times now!

nut I gotta tell you not cheap, but when your riding cruising down the highway, do u wanna think of that :deal" you scored of china hardware, or do you want the freedom, knowing you have the strongest and nicest hardware on the planet, they make several styles, I like the 12 point as when we took rims off to send to Sport Chrome, a Grade 8 Harley bolt snapped right off, I was holding wheel wasn't him, last jerk off used a damm tube of red, and used shitty bolts with 1/4" shoulder IF THAT!!!!, so lesson learned there, and the 12 point you can grab better without worrying about cross threading, and if you go to site and see the spacers they offer, to comply look, SIMPLY AMAZING!! SORRY FOR THE RUNOFF MAN, I JUST SAW I WROTE A BOOK!...anyhow thats ME and thats my STORY....Thanks for any help/advise given!!!Appreciate iim!!!Wife HAYES MY VIKE Bur it so ****ing help with PRSD,either that or the Var or a BULLET to the head!

And im glad I re-enlisted,rather they took me back, and kept rank, they said I was a lil old, was 28 at the time, so I gad to go thru ASVAP evaluation , didn't have to do the bd test, I was a Corporal....But did. have to duck walk around the gym wall, anyone who served KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN, ur in your underwear, and a dr walk and evaluated ever soldier, to make sure no limitation, "fit for battle""" again, bullshit but whatever, 23 CONFIRMED KILLS, guess I wasn't too old!! lol, almost what? 10 years later, once 9-11 happened I went right in, kept Corporal status, moved up to Staff SGT. Than got into SOC, SPECIAL OPERATIONS CAPABLE FORCES, CALLED DORCE Reconnaissance, ITS MY CORPS, LIKE ARMY HAS RABGER/NAVT SEALS, US, SOC

wow tooo much rambling!!!! Shut un sorry brother!!

LATER MAN, GUESS I NEEDED TO GET THAT OUT..WHETHER YOU READ IT OE SOMEONE ELSE, OR NO-ONE Sorry did it for me, BERVER FORGET ALWATS FAITHFUL DEMPER FI' FOR LIFE, OUT BIRTHDAY WASN'T TO LONG AGO!!!

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 11-21-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

The good thing about intimidators is that they come pre-configured so you can't screw them up.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Both Intiminators and Emulators supposedly come pre-set, although I have my doubts about both of them. Emulators are also adjustable, but the instructions are incomprehensible for this 'average Joe'.

Quick Reply: Front progressive hd spring install